Anna Schultz-Girl Holding Solo Cup
Anna Schultz-Girl Holding Solo Cup
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

The Truth About College Frat Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

My first article ever for Her Campus Temple was “How to Prepare Yourself for a College Party As An Introvert.” One thing I should mention is that I barely touched the surface. After going to many more parties after that article was published, I feel like it is my job to tell you, there is so much more than what I said. If you actually want a realistic expectation of what a classic college frat party consists of, keep reading.

The lack of space

They are CROWDED, especially if the party is mainly located in the basement. No one really bothers to say “excuse me” anymore. There’s sort of an unspoken code of conduct where we all know we aren’t trying to be rude, but you probably can’t hear each others apologies anyways and it’s too crowded to move about while respecting someone’s space properly. 

THE HEAT

The heat, the humidity, the sweat, all things you want at a party, right? I can’t express to you just how stuffy it gets at these parties. As soon as you walk down those stairs to the basement, you’re hit with a wave of ick. The heat sticks to you almost instantly if it’s crowded enough.

The attire

In my first article I said how you should wear clothes that make you feel comfortable in your own skin. While I still stand by it, I have come to the conclusion on why most girls wear crop tops, lace bodysuits, etc. Not only because it makes them feel confident, but because of the 104 degree basement. Always carry a hair tie with you because you will, without a doubt, sweat if you plan to dance for more than ten minutes.

Attitude

Most people are there to enjoy time with their friends, S.Os, or find some company for the night. But, there is a chance you might encounter some drunk boy trying to shoot his shot. Due to the drunken state, they will most likely miss. But, when they’re only a bit buzzed and hold proper conversation, you might luck out on a cutie who’s making a move.

At the end of night, here are some key things to always remember: bring a hair tie, dance with people you want to, talk to people you want to, and try to have fun. While frat parties have an awful reputation, make the best of it with people you actually enjoy the company of. And if it’s not for you, grab a buddy and leave. Netflix and snacks are just as fun.

Bryanna Santos is a graduate of Temple University who earned a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Content Creation. She has happily been the Campus Life Editor for most of her college career and mainly focused on lifestyle and advice articles. Her favorite advice articles revolve around love & relationships.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!