Wellness > Mental Health

Traveling Can Be A Boost For Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

“I need a vacation” is something that crosses our minds quite frequently in college. We all long for some time off from our daily hustle to relax – but besides from escaping work, traveling has an amazing impact on our mental health. Whether it’s a weekend getaway in Boston or a semester abroad in London, it’s important to get out there, take a break and see what the world has to offer. If you’re looking for a sign to book that flight, this is it. Here are five reasons why a vacay could benefit our mental health.

Independence

Traveling gives us a new sense of independence and freedom. We are far, far away from any worries at home and are immersed in completely new surroundings. Being in a different environment means not having someone or something to always count on; travelers learn to figure it out themselves! Whether it’s budgeting money, public transportation, or even finding the closest restaurant, a new feeling of independence is acquired on your getaway. With friends or solo, everyone will feel more knowledgeable by the time you get home!

Change of Scenery

As much as we love our campus here at TU, it’s important to see what else is out there! A change of scenery is a refreshing look into the beauty of our world and gives us motivation when we’re stuck in a funk. As college students, we follow ~somewhat~ of a routine every day. Following the same schedule every day can be draining, so it’s necessary to take in something new every once in a while. If you want to look over the Cliffs of Moher or simply stroll through Central Park, it’s all out there waiting for us.

New Cultures & Experiences

As college students, we are curious about the world around us. Being surrounded by people from all over the world, with different fashion, food, language, culture – it’s quite an educational experience! We soak in all kinds of different experiences while traveling. With all these eye-opening experiences, many travelers undergo personal growth in their time abroad. So try that interesting food, and listen to your new friend’s story about his life back at home. You will be fascinated!

Strengthens Relationships

Whether you came with friends, family, or solo (and making new friends abroad!), traveling strengthens our relationships. Some of your favorite memories will be formed with your loved ones while on your trip, and years later you will still be laughing and telling that one story that just never gets old! By the end of a trip, it’s comforting to realize the people you have in your life that you have been so blessed to travel with.

Stress Relief

This one is pretty obvious, right? One of the best parts of traveling is being away from all our responsibilities at home. No school, work, waking up early- it’s a nice break! Giving ourselves some time to relax and rewarding ourselves for all the hard work we put in everyday is much needed. Laughing with your loved ones, seeing new sights, eating new food, it’s all so enjoyable and you deserve every second of bliss.

Us Owls work hard and we all deserve a trip sometimes. So what’s stopping you from your next trip? You’ll feel quite rewarded by the end of it.

Mallory Lawn

Temple '23

Second-year Advertising student at Temple University. Lover of all things music, travel, wellness, writing, and Philly.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!