This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

A figure about 6’2” tall and 230 lbs. is wearing 4 inch, candy apple red, patent leather pumps and lumbering toward a group of cheering women.

There about 140 of these figures today—men in high heels painfully barreling down 13th street past the Howard Gittis Student Center, looping around toward the Tech Center and, finally, exhaling a sigh of satisfied relief as they stumble over their triumphant last steps on Liacouras Walk at Temple University.

No, this is not some type of drag queen footrace, but a number of men taking a stand against violence against women.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is a national, annual event that is in its second year at TU. On Wednesday, March 27, athletes, multicultural Greeks, and men who just felt compelled to get involved showed their support for raising awareness about sexual violence against women in a jovial but powerful way.

“Heels are painful and they hurt…and they’re painful,” said participant, Kevin Newsome. But then again, isn’t that the point?

“It is metaphorically and actually difficult to walk in women’s shoes,” said Ashley Lasala, grad extern at the Wellness Resource Center. “Especially for big guys.”

And with the crowd being made up largely of football players, there were indeed some big guys walking in high heels.

As funny as it may have looked, the phenomenon of sexual abuse and assault is no laughing matter, nor is the planning for an event of this magnitude. Planning began, said Lasala, immediately after the conclusion of Walk a Mile in Her Shoes 2012.

This year, experts, police officers and even a fellow Temple Owl gave speeches before and after the walk and encouraged students to take a stand against sexual violence. One Temple student got choked up amid a very personal story about hearing news of his mother, aunt, and sister being raped in separate instances. 

“I told my sister that if anything like this ever happened to her again, I’d be there for her,” the male student read.

Expert speakers placed an emphasis on reporting instances of rape and sexual assault immediately. They outlined protocol and resources while male and female participants and onlookers listened, some emotionally, all diligently to the individuals who approached the podium.

One in six women is sexually assaulted on a college campus. Temple’s rates are very close to the average rates. Lasala said that the Wellness Resource Center would like to see a decline in that statistic at Temple University.

If you or a friend have been victims of sexual assault, violence and/or rape, you may contact the HEART office on the lower level of Mitten Hall, Tuttleman Counseling Services in 1810 Liacouras Walk and visit the Temple Police station across from Sullivan Hall on Polette Walk. There is also a local, 24-hour Women Organized Against Rape hotline which can be reached at 215-985-3333.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!