absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Pour It Up This Season with 3 Healthy Halloween-Inspired Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With autumn arriving and Halloween rapidly approaching, why not get into the spirit with healthy, homemade juices? Whether you’re a girl-on-the-go or a homebody, it’s still very important to make sure you’re consuming enough vitamins and nutrients to get you through the day! Juices are a great way to detox your body of all of the toxins we encounter on a daily basis. Here’s a few great recipes to get you into the Halloween spirit:

Pumpkin Pie Juice

Serve this Halloween treat for breakfast or as an afternoon snack! The pumpkin treat is perfect for Halloween and the taste is out of this world. Imagine having pumpkin pie in a glass!

INGREDIENTS

• 4 cups pumpkin chunks (1/2 – 1 whole pie pumpkin)
  • 1 apple
  • 2-3 carrots
  • 1/4 inch piece ginger
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg

All you have to do is cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, cut 1 1/2 inch chunks and remove skin with a vegetable peeler. Then wash the apple and carrots and cut them into pieces that will fit into your juicer. Next, put the first four ingredients through your juicer. Pour the juice into a glass and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Add ice if desired and enjoy!

Blood Punch

This spine-tingling punch is another concoction made mostly from natural fruit juices. By using the sweetness from 100 percent juice, you can avoid the extra sugars and additives of most Halloween punch recipes out there.

INGREDIENTS

• 3 Cups of cranberry juice
  • 1.5 cups of apple juice
  • 1.5 cups of grape juice
  • 3 cups of strawberries
  • Dry ice

To prepare this ghoulish concoction, chop the strawberries and pop them in the freezer for about 2 hours or until frozen. Then stir the juices in a punch bowl, and chill for two more hours in the refrigerator. Place the dry ice in a bowl, pot or cauldron that is larger than the punch bowl. Set the punch bowl over the dry ice in the larger bowl. This will give it a nice, smoky effect of a bubbling cauldron. Add the frozen strawberries to the blood punch and serve to your guests!

Rotten Apple Cider

Don’t be alarmed! This recipe isn’t literally made from rotten apples, but the brown hue of the cider gives the illusion that the drink is rotten. It’s actually packed with vitamins and nutrients as well as other health benefits.

INGREDIENTS

• 4 cups of apple cider
  • 1 cup of orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 12 whole allspice berries
  • ½ teaspoon of grated orange

Add all of the ingredients into a saucepan and heat them to a boil with high heat. Once they are at a boil, set the heat low and allow the cider to simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve the rotten apple cider with additional cinnamon sticks or apple wedges.

Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.