New Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel Attractions Coming to Disney Parks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Disney is a multi-billion-dollar giant that continues to thrive at the top of the media and entertainment world.

There’s no denying that the multinational company, which was founded by Walt Disney over ninety years ago and is now the world’s second largest media conglomerate, does one thing better than anyone else: it makes us feel like kids again. Disney has perfected its formula of capitalizing on our nostalgia with every film, theme park, and piece of merchandise – and boy, do we let it! Who can resist sequels or remakes of the classics you grew up watching on VHS, or going to the theme parks and hugging all your favorite characters?

Whether you’re in the mood to relive your childhood at sunny Walt Disney World or at your local movie theater, here’s a sample of the developments Disney is planning to attract the young at heart.

Toy Story Land

Toy Story Land is set to open at Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios on June 30, 2018 and it looks just like Andy’s imagination brought to life, complete with his beloved toy friends from the Toy Story films. According to the Disney Parks Blog, guests will be able to ride Slinky Dog Dash, an adorable roller coaster that Andy “assembled” from a play kit and features Slinky and Jessie. Other attractions include Alien Swirling Saucers (yes, The Claw makes an appearance), an expanded Toy Story Mania, Woody’s Lunch Box, and more. Round up the green Army men and pack your cowboy hat – there’s only three months until opening day!

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge

This Star Wars theme park is a must-see for every intergalactic hero and proud space nerd out there! Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is scheduled to open at Disneyland Resort at some point in 2019, followed by Walt Disney World. The park is currently under construction and not much is visible, but Disney did give some details about the totally immersive experience. The park is set on the planet Batuu and visitors will be able to fly the Millennium Falcon and ride inside a Star Destroyer as part of the two signature attractions. Expect to see familiar faces like Chewbacca, BB-8, and members of the First Order (and hopefully the Rebel Alliance!) throughout the park and on official merchandise. Based on the designs alone, the massive scale and intricacy of this theme park in a galaxy far, far away could give the Wizarding World of Harry Potter some serious competition.

Marvel Parks

If you feel like the constant stream of Marvel superhero movies and marketing campaigns somehow isn’t enough, you’re in luck. On March 20, Disney announced that Marvel-themed expansions are coming to Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland over the next few years! Prepare to join the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and more in what promises to be “a heroic experience” that will probably take Marvel fans on a full-fledged superhero journey above and beyond their wildest dreams. The posters for the expansions feature Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, and the Wasp, just to name a few. Better start training for recruitment!

And for all of you who can’t make it to a Disney park until you save up some money for at least five years (I feel your pain), don’t worry! The company has plenty of new movie releases lined up to feed your Disney obsession well into the foreseeable future. Here are just a few that are set to premiere in 2018 and 2019, so get ready:

Disney certainly has its hands full and is making every effort to further expand its huge media empire. Which new project or film are you the most excited for?

Morgan is a senior journalism major at Temple University with a minor in political science. She previously served as Social Media Director for Templar Yearbook and Public Relations VP of Alpha Xi Delta sorority, and she is also involved with several other campus organizations. Morgan has loved to read & write since she was young and she hopes to have a career in magazines or the larger media industry. Her many interests include concerts, politics, making Spotify playlists, meditation, pop culture, and spending far too much time on Pinterest. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @magicalmorganx.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus