rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Need Help? Here’s Where to Find It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Life is really hard sometimes. College is really hard most of the time.

According to the National Alliance of Mental Health, about one in five adults experience a mental illness in a given year. 50 percent of those illnesses start by age 14, and 75 percent are present by 25 years of age. Yet the conversation about mental health is still taboo in our society: no one talks about it, even though a quarter of our adult population is suffering from mental health disorders. Since no one talks about it, many people don’t seek help. Young adults, ages 18 to 24, have the lowest rate of help-seeking for mental health problems. That needs to change.

In the spirit of Mental Health Awareness week, which is October 2-8 this year, I’ve compiled a list of places that Temple students specifically can find help, on-campus, off-campus, and online. You are not alone and you should never have to suffer alone.

1. Tuttleman Counseling Services

Tuttleman Counseling offers free services to all undergraduate, graduate, and professional school students currently enrolled at Temple. They offer a wide variety of services, like individual and group counseling and psychiatric services that include medication consultations and short term psychotherapy. As well, they have specialized services for drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, sexual assault, and other traumas. They’re also able to refer you to an off campus counseling or service center if they’re unable to help you there. They have Walk-in Clinic hours where you can meet with a counselor at 1810 Liacouras Walk and you can also contact them at 215-204-7276 to make an appointment or for any other questions.

2. The Center for Growth

Located on South 6th Street near Washington Square Park, The Center for Growth boasts many different therapeutic and psychiatrics services, including couples and family counseling as well as support groups for a range of different mental health problems. However, what makes them special for Temple students and other students attending local colleges is their therapy services for students. They offer individual and couples counseling, as well as support groups specifically for students. If money is an issue, you also have the option of working with a graduate student who’s pursuing a degree in counseling for only $25. To book an appointment, call (267) 324-9564.

3. Thriveworks Philadelphia

A five minute walk from the Walnut-Locust BSL subway stop, Thriveworks Philadelphia has a lot of options for those seeking help. They have many different, specific counseling options for problems such as anxiety, addiction and depression. As well, they have couple and career counseling and even life coaching. They also offer psychiatric help and psychological testing for a number of things, including an assessment to diagnose ADHD. You can give them a call at (215) 399-9764 or request an appointment online. Their no waiting policy means they can schedule your first appointment within the week; sometimes even within 24 hours.

4. Active Minds 

Active Minds is an non-profit organization, founded at the University of Pennsylvania, that works to educate college students about many different aspects of mental health, like how to understand what they’re going through when they experience symptoms of a mental illness and where to get help. They also work to help those suffering feel accepted and supported while living with their illness. Active Minds has 424 chapters across the country, including one at Temple, and their website has all the different ways to get involved with Active Minds. In addition, their website has resources for those suffering and resources for the friends and family who have someone suffering from a mental illness.

5. Healthy Minds Philly

Healthy Minds Philly is an online resource specifically for Philadelphia residents to help improve their mental health and well-being. They have online screenings for mental health as well as a tool where you can a find a community event to get screened at. Their website also has a variety of local treatment resources and wellness resources, a blog all about mental health, and a self-help tool called “Beating the Blues” that teaches strategies on how to manage mild anxiety and depression. Phone numbers for crisis centers and hotlines are also posted around the website for those suffering who need help immediately.

Mental health is just as important as physical health. You should never be afraid to reach out, wether to a friend, family member, professor, or crisis hotline. Asking for help does not make you weak. Suffering from a mental illness not does make you weak. You are important, you matter, and you deserve to be happy. You are stronger than whatever is hurting you, and it will get better. It will get better.

In the words of Frida Kahlo, “At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.”

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.