This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Dodie Clark, known as dodie.  I could end my recommendation there because her name is so freaking fun, but there is so much to talk about when discussing this multi talented artist.  Dorothy Miranda Clark, age 25, was born in Enfield, Essex, United Kingdom.  She began her media career with a Youtube channel called “doddleoddle” in 2011. Here, she posts some covers and original songs, some accompanied by official music videos. You can see her musical progression by viewing her first video from 9 years ago, observing the camera and microphone quality and comparing it to her most recent videos. Dodie’s journey is pretty cool to study since there is so much tangible evidence of her talent and its progress.  If I’m being honest, she’s an absolutely wonderful human. :) Let’s dive in!

Dodie’s discography officially begins with her first single, “Sick of Losing Soulmates,” released on October 14, 2016. This song also appears on her first EP titled “Intertwined,” released on November 18, 2016. All 6 songs have a very light, indie sound, as dodie composes and writes all of her original songs. However, what I like most about her songs is the deeper meaning behind each lyric. For instance, one of her songs I learned on the ukulele is the album’s namesake, “Intertwined.” While I thought it was a love song, I strummed along and sang with joy.  It wasn’t until the day I found her Youtube video explaining the song that my eyes were really opened. I guess, in a way, I owe dodie in part for my ability to analyze lyrics. In this particular video, she described how the lyrics take listeners through a toxic relationship. This was shocking to me as I was completely misled by the beautiful ukulele sounds and rawness in her voice. The song addresses mental illnesses among the two people in the relationship, sharing their burdens. “Intertwined, first of all, brings us back to the imagery of two lovers, but also suggests codependency, a tangled knot of love and unhealthy reassurance.” Basically, due to the fact that they share their mental instability, they are burdening each other and are incredibly toxic together. Now, all this would never be gathered if not for the lyrics, although dodie does explain how some chords sound scarier than others throughout the tune. If you can hear the mood shift in the music, you may better understand the meaning without the lyrics which is pretty cool.

Stylistically speaking, dodie loves to layer.  Harmonies play a key role in the majority of her music, hitting all the technical musical terms like dissonance – notes that clash beautifully; or just different kinds of harmonies. This makes for a more ethereal listening experience that feels so whole and pretty.  Recognizing harmonies takes incredible talent, so incorporating them into albums shows dodie’s dedication and attention to detail. One thing I absolutely love that dodie does is her series “Christmas songs in a minor key.” She takes popular Christmas tunes and sings them in a minor key to sound a little creepier. My favorite one is from 2018, more specifically Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, beginning at 4:45.  It’s honestly just outstanding to see traditional Christmas songs reimagined in ways you wouldn’t have thought possible. dodie constantly thinks outside the box while remaining genuine in her messages. I think her vulnerability is a key point of attraction to listeners who need a friend.

Dodie’s social media presence extends beyond just pictures of her life. She uses her platform to openly speak about mental health and its effects on her daily routine. Life isn’t predictable or one dimensional, and she makes a note to reflect on that. Her Instagram shows much appreciation for her friends who seemingly radiate the same positive energy she does.  Oftentimes, she’ll include poetry and/or lyrics in her captions to convey her emotions. Before Covid, all her photos possessed a blue hue with some purples. Now, it has shifted to lighter blues and greens. I think this fits her aura very well. If I could describe her aesthetic, I would title it somber sunshine. This isn’t to say dodie is a melancholy person, but that she isn’t afraid to discuss the darkness of the human brain while also basking in the light of happy days. Some of dodie’s songs make me cry while others make me blissfully happy.  

Not that it wasn’t obvious, but I love dodie.  She goes above and beyond in producing, writing, and singing her own music.  Talent seeps through all her pores and she seems like such a genuinely kind human.  Since finding her in 2016 and becoming a huge fan, I’ve been wishing to be her friend.  I highly recommend her music, especially knowing we’ll be getting more very soon.  Check out her most recent song and video, Cool Girl! Happy listening! :)

dodie’s social media:

dodie.co

instagram

twitter

facebook

hi! i'm lia and i'm an english major with a focus in creative writing at temple. i love photography, music, hiking, and painting. i'm so excited to write for hercampus, and i'm so glad you're here :) treat people with kindness
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!