kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Makeup or No Makeup: It Shouldn’t Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

An alarmingly negative trend with girls our age has recently come to my attention. It seems that we have split ourselves (for the most part) into two categories: the makeup lovers and the makeup scorners.

I have found myself multiple times in “the zone” applying my adored makeup, only to have girls (who will remain anonymous) say, “Do you always put that much makeup on?” “Wait, you’re putting on lipstick too?” or my personal favorite: “Are you going somewhere?”

I am allowed to make myself look more beautiful. If someone would like to get all done up only to sit around, eat chocolate and watch “Gossip Girl,” the person should be able to without judgment. If a person wants to put on foundation, concealer, bronzer, blush, mascara, eyeliner, sparkles, feathers, sequins or whatever, this person is allowed to and should not be questioned. Period. If that is what makes someone feel beautiful and secure, then why should that be anyone’s business but his or her own?

On the other side of the coin, if one wishes to wear zero makeup, they should not be questioned. Sweatpants, platform heels, old baggy shirts, hiked up skirts, boobs covered, boobs out, a tiara, a trash bag— it should ALL be fair game.

“Women need to be supportive of one another. They should empower one another, not knock each other down,” says Caroline, a Temple junior majoring in women’s studies. “If someone is happy with what they’re doing, right on!”

Katlin, a sophomore at Temple chimed in saying, “If a girl has to put other girls down, it just shows that she’s insecure about herself. We should be sticking together”.

She brings up a great point. We shouldn’t be shaming one another for the way we choose to portray ourselves – we should be celebrating it. We need to rejoice in our sexuality and our beauty, whether it is natural or enhanced with makeup.

Let’s lift each other up, not knock each other down. Makeup or no makeup, we all need to stick together.

Savannah is a graduate of Temple University, now pursuing her lifelong dream of living in NYC. She enjoys perusing second-hand books stores, staring at the work of Egon Schiele, and listening to Keith Richards shred his electric guitar.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.