This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Not only does the way you dress serve the purpose of expressing yourself, but it can also help you be more productive. By already knowing go-to pieces for your outfit, you can spend less time getting ready. With the style you end up choosing, you pretty much become a walking billboard. When people see you and what you are wearing, they make inferences about you, who you are, what you do. We can use our clothes to create an image for others, for what we want them to see. Most importantly, the best thing about having a style statement or signature style is that you feel comfortable with it, but don’t be shy to try new and different styles — mix or match pieces. Your outfits are like your very own personal brand. When people think of items you would wear as your style, it does not need to be bold, but they should think “oh, this reminds me of her!,” like how when we think of orange in a drink isle, we think “oh, Fanta!”

Cookie Cutter Go-To’s

Usually when people think of a signature style, they are most likely thinking of what I call a “cookie-cutter” sense of style, or a way of putting your style into a category. Here are some examples of what I mean: Sporty, girly, tomboy, artsy, dark, nerdy, preppy, bold, chic, boho-chic, casual, professional and more. This is okay, I mean, if you think you fit into categories. However, you don’t necessarily have to if you don’t want to or if you don’t think your style fits into one. Heck, you can have a forever changing sense of style that fits into any category you want! Having a sense of style can mean you show little details in your outfits that people attribute to you.

Hair

It is fun to play with hairstyle because there is so much to do. You can style it with updos, braided patterns, clips, headbands, colors, extensions, hats and more. A while ago, I dyed my hair red and now it faded out into a firey brown-red that is noticeable in the sunlight. My signature statement style is letting my wild billowing loose curls let themselves out. If I have my hair up, I will put a bow, flower or large clip in it. Have you ever been in that situation where you always style your hair one way and you change it and everyone thinks you got a haircut? Me too. Having a signature style will decrease the chances of this happening. But, if changing your hair everyday is your signature style statement, go for it!

Makeup

There is so much to do with makeup, or nothing at all. Your signature makeup look could be a natural makeup face or just bare-faced. It can be a cat eye, different lipstick colors, bold eyeshadow palettes, or just whatever you want! Makeup can also include how you do your nails. Do you like bold colors, textures, patterns? Acrylic nails or natural? A french manicure? These are all things to take into consideration as well. My signature makeup style is a little bit of foundation, heavy contour, thick and bold filled in eyebrows, purple eyeshadow, basic eyeliner and red lipstick. Obviously this look does not work everyday, or else my skin would be suffering! You can barely ever catch me outside without my signature look of red lipstick, at least.

Jewelry and Accessories

Some people identify their signature styles with the type of jewelry they wear. There is gold, silver, brass and other kinds of jewelry. You can wear necklaces, bracelets, anklets, rings, piercings and more. Do you wear lots of jewelry or barely any at all? The key to making your jewelry YOU is what kind of jewelry you wear, how you wear it, where you wear it, what it symbolizes. Accessories also are similar to jewelry in the sense that you can use them for the same purpose. Ask yourself if you like wearing different glasses, belts, hats, scarves, or like to carry a specific purse. My statement style for my jewelry and accessories is primarily my set of silver bracelets and a necklace. The set is mesmerizing and different. A lot of times when I meet people, my jewelry is the first part of my outfit people notice about me. My necklace and silver bracelets are very large and eye-catching. People also are intrigued by them because the jewelry almost appears as if it is literally a part of me. There are no visible clasps or openings so it looks like the necklace and bracelets are permanent. Since my bracelets are so huge, a lot of people refer to them as my “gauntlets” or my “Wonder Woman cuffs.”

Clothes (textures, patterns, shape)

The statement piece of clothing has a lot of area for creativity. This can be the whole outfit or just a small portion. I love to play around with colors, patterns, prints and textures. A statement piece can be something like a simple white tee shirt that is a staple in your wardrobe, a blazer, a leather or denim jacket. Since I work for a hotel, blazers have become a statement piece of clothing in my wardrobe and I have them in all different colors and textures. It’s what people mostly see me wear to school these days. It is also a good way to dress up a plain outfit and make it look a bit more ~professional~ for class.

Shoes

Speaking of shoes, your shoes are the most important part of your outfit. Check out my article https://www.hercampus.com/school/temple/commuter-s-guide-comfortable-fashionable-footwear. Shoes are everything because they make a final statement about your personality and style. You can never have too many! The fall is my favorite season to shop for shoes because there are so many cute options! Try something new. Instead of your basic shoe, try a pair with a suede texture, colorblock pattern, some sparkles — or just design your own. You’ll stand out more from the crowd of basic white sneakers. A day at the office doesn’t mean you have to wear boring black heels. Add a touch of glitter here and there, some faux snakeskin, a large buckle or some rhinestones. Since I am so short, my statement shoe is a heel or wedge.

YOU

Although it is fun to play with our wardrobe and create a signature style for ourselves that people will remember us by, you can’t achieve this complete look without your presentation. Style is not just about what you wear, but how you wear it! Do you wear your style with confidence? Do you casually stroll or strut your stuff?

Having a signature style does not necessarily mean you have to wear the same thing all the time, you can really do what you want. A signature style can even mean never wearing the same style twice or just being unique and different! Your clothes are not everything though. Your personality reflects the true you. Don’t forget that.

Ashley Regina Morris is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is a communication studies major with a minor in tourism and hospitality management and balances academic life while working at a restaurant and for a hotel. Come to her for fashion and beauty advice if you are on your way to the working world or are a commuter student.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.