The Importance of Self-Love on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

To all my single ladies: stores are fully stocked with gross heart candies, everything is plastered in bubblegum pink, and social media is flooded with posts about the “best” boyfriend/girlfriend Miranda has ever had.

Those without a significant other often feel a looming sense of dread as February approaches.

So…#treatyoself and get yourself a bouquet of roses. Take time to practice self-love and progress as a girl boss this month. It will only benefit you in the future when you do find your very own person to love. It’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of Valentine’s day and forget that the most important person to be lovin’ is you.

Self-love is about genuine acceptance of who you are. Having a healthy relationship with yourself creates a strong backbone for other relationships in your life. So start with yourself.

It may be mushy rom-com movie season, but there is nothing wrong with being single while you wait to find what you deserve. Focusing on yourself brings confidence that is evident to others. Blast some Cardi B, do a face mask, and know your worth isn’t determined by your relationship status.

You deserve to be comfortable in your own skin, so don’t be afraid to shower yourself with compliments. Someone’s gotta do it! You’re worth all that and a box of chocolates all on your own.

Be your own soulmate/other half/sugar bear and use February to fall in love with yourself. Take the plunge and dye your hair the way you’ve been thinking about. Dedicate time to the project you’ve been wanting to start, try a spin class, or get dinner with your girl gang. There is so much to look forward to in the coming weeks, especially the discounted candy.

Learning to love yourself is a process, but it’s worth committing to. (Unlike that New Year’s resolution you made.) Self-love isn’t always about making a radical change. It might be indulging in some Ben & Jerry’s, or simply recognizing you deserve to take time for yourself to unwind.

Mental health is just as important as physical health. Accept the person that you are, and know that you can flourish on your own. Choose to place positive energy into bettering yourself. The perk of being single is that you have the right to be all about you. Take advantage of it!

Self-love is the most difficult kind of love, as we are our own harshest critics. It’s human nature that during a romantic dry spell, the all-too-familiar thought is: ‘What is wrong with me?’ If you haven’t got a Valentine’s date, don’t wallow. Remember to #trusttheprocess. (I’m sorry my Philly people I had too.)

Romantic love may come and go, but learning to practice self-love will stay with you always.

––Haley Williams

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus