Wellness > Mental Health

I Fostered a Cat: How the Experience Improved my Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Explore your nearest pet adoption center to benefit you and an animal in need.

College life can be incredible. However, there are some things from your childhood home that could never be replaced. For example, home-cooked meals, time with parents, and familiar hometowns are comforts for many college students. Above all, childhood pets are among the things missed most. Although a foster animal cannot replace your beloved pets at home, it can provide comfort and improve daily mental health. 

Pets are beneficial for improving mental health. For example, pet owners have greater self-esteem, are physically fitter, tend to be less lonely, are more conscientious, and are more extroverted, according to the American Psychological Association. 

In addition, cat owners also have healthier hearts, sleep better, have better coping mechanisms for grief, and are even more likely to find a significant other. These benefits extend to individuals fostering pets as well. 

Fostering also protects thousands of animals each year from kill shelters. The Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) is one of the leading animal welfare societies in Philadelphia, they accomplish their impressive results through volunteers, adopters, and fosterers. Their website easily identifies the process of applying to foster an animal in need among volunteer and adoption opportunities. 

In August, my roommates and I completed the foster care sign-up on their website. Within the sign-up, potential fosterers identify their preferences, including types of foster animals and other helpful information to match you to the most appropriate animal in need for your lifestyle. 

My roommates and I were approved by a PAWS staff member the day after completing the form. We were notified of a few possible foster pet matches and were approved to come visit some of the possible foster cats. 

On Aug. 30, my roommates and I entered the PAWS South Philadelphia location after inquiring about a kitten listed in need of a foster parent. That afternoon, a black cat named Mystic came home with us and cozied into her new foster home. 

Mystic grew into our home and hearts. As the weeks passed, so did my attachment to Mystic and the noticeable benefits of her introduction to our apartment. From the time Mystic joined our daily lives, I’ve noticeably become less stressed and slept better as she sat in the beanbag chair next to me every night. 

We were contacted by a potential adopter over email on Nov. 7. After a few brief exchanges, the interested couple met Mystic through an organized meet and greet. On Nov. 14, Mystic went home with her new owners and met her new cat sister, Mocha. We have received daily updates on Mystic’s new life in her forever home. 

Although college students often have unpredictable futures and are unlikely to commit to adopting pets for their whole lives, fostering is a great option to incorporate a companion who can help you just as much as you can help them. 

Foster an animal; you won’t regret it. 

Taylor is currently a freshman Journalism major at Temple University. Outside of school, you can find her rewatching tv shows, cooking chili, or dancing.