A Guide to Being Productive in an Online Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I’m writing this on day 10 of my quarantine, fully without a job, or any idea of how I’m going to garner the energy to do my online schoolwork for the week. Things have been crazy: it feels like it’s been months since I was last on campus, but we’re only going on two weeks. 

What I’ve been noticing is that a lot of people don’t know how to take an online class. As someone who enjoys a few online classes per semester, even I’m having trouble with the transition. 

Between increased coursework from classes, the endless stream of information coming from every news outlet in the United States and abroad, and the stay-at-home order here in Philadelphia — things are chaotic to say the least, and it’s hard to find time to be a person or find the light in a time that’s so dark. 

So, as we enter the second week of online classes, I felt that it would be helpful to share some tips about staying focused, not overworking yourself, and keeping a regular schedule so that you can keep yourself grounded without feeling like the world is ending. 

Here is a quick set of tips about increasing your productivity without overwhelming yourself. 

Do your regular morning and evening routines, even if all you want to do is sit in your pajamas all day. 

From my perspective, a lot of seeming like you have your life together in ordinary times is pretending that you do: all of the seemingly insignificant, routine things we do can actually have an impact on how we feel. 

If you have a skin care routine you do every morning, or even just need to remember to get up and get dressed, doing so can help motivate you to get your day started. Though, it’s not easy. 

Also, get out of bed if you can! No matter the size of your space, it may be beneficial to sit at a table or a desk and get out of the space you sleep in to get your work done. 

clothes
Priscilla Du Preez

Try a soundtrack to increase your focus.

I’m a Spotify fiend, in many ways. I love to curate playlists for each of my many moods, but I love their browsing features. If you’re the kind of person who can focus with music or white noise in the background, try one of their Focus or Study playlists. 

Another idea would be to find your favorite films and listen to the scores. They often carry sentimental value without you even realizing, and it may help calm you down when you’re feeling stressed. 

Try the Pomodoro Technique to increase your productivity. 

The Pomodoro Technique is a method of increasing your productivity without being overwhelmed. I’ve been using it since the fall semester, and it has helped me tremendously, especially during high-stress times in the semester. 

First, choose a task from your regular list of assignments, and set a timer for 25 minutes of your time on that one assignment, with no distractions at all. When the timer goes off, take five minutes for a quick break, whether that be to stretch, go to the bathroom, check your notifications, whatever. 

Do that four times. When you’ve done the 25-minute work, 5-minute break four times, take a longer break. Whether that is to scroll social media for a while, or catch up on your favorite show, reward yourself for two hours of productivity.

Remember to put yourself first. 

We’re all worried about our grades, it’s a given. However, we are in the midst of a global pandemic, and everyone is walking around with increased levels of uncertainty. Forgive yourself for not being your usual self, without trying to cram your way through your assignments. Make the time to give your all. 

If you run into a problem, email your professors. They are there to help make the transition to online learning as smooth as possible, and they want you to be healthy and safe no matter what. Expect the same of yourself. Canvas and Zoom aren’t going anywhere: give yourself the time to relax and exist as a person and not just a student. 

No matter what, make time for self-care, whatever that means for you. You are not built to be a productivity machine, and nobody should expect you to be. Sleep in every so often. Learn a weird skill. Read a book. Learn a TikTok dance. 

In these uncertain times, make sure you’re still living.

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

A writer, witch, and pop culture connoisseur.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.