This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Congratulations! You’ve officially survived midterms week. Although that long week is finally over, the semester is not — and the workload is piling up. With tons of homework and deadlines to meet, it’s common for students to feel stressed out and overwhelmed. During a busy time in the semester, we cannot forget to take care of ourselves. Prioritizing your wellbeing is a necessity, and we’ve found some simple ways to relieve stress and anxiety during a hectic time.

Here are five ways to help manage stress and keep us calm during a busy semester:

Take Deep Breaths

The best way to relax is to take deep breaths. Deep breathing increases the supply of oxygen going into your brain and triggers your parasympathetic nervous system, which brings a state of calmness to the body. Next time you feel overwhelmed or nervous, focus on your breathing technique. You will feel much more connected to your body.

Make Lists and Set Goals

When you feel overwhelmed with assignments, the first task to do is organize and plan your days. Write down your deadlines, upcoming homework assignments and any other to-do lists. Try to plan out what homework you will accomplish each day in order to stay on track, as well as any other to-do tasks! By figuring out what you want to accomplish, you will feel much more organized and put together. 

Sleep

We all know the struggle of staying up all night to study. It’s inevitable that there will be nights that college students aren’t getting enough rest, but we can’t skimp on sleep! Try to manage your time as efficiently as possible in order to get a full night’s rest. If you don’t get enough sleep, try to make time in your schedule for a nap to refresh you. Getting a healthy night’s sleep can greatly help reduce stress. When you’re tired, it’s easy to get irritable, impatient and overwhelmed. Sleep will help you feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.

Exercise

Whether you go to the gym or simply take a quick walk, exercising is a great way to reduce stress and take your mind off of your anxieties. Physical activity produces endorphins, chemicals that help to boost happiness. Not only will exercising make you happier, but it will improve your overall health and help you sleep well at night!

Organize Your Living Space

When you’re living in a tiny dorm room or apartment, it’s easy for things to get cluttered. A messy room contributes to stress, so it’s important to keep your living space clean! It’s comforting to come home to a tidy room after a busy day and it can help you feel relaxed to have an open space.

I hope you try out some of these methods to help deal with the stress of college. Keep in mind that self-care is equally as important as your grades! No matter how well you’re doing in school, make sure you’re doing well yourself. 

Mallory Lawn

Temple '23

Second-year Advertising student at Temple University. Lover of all things music, travel, wellness, writing, and Philly.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.