6 Steps to Make Temple Feel Like Home: A Guide for Transfer Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Being a transfer student can be awkward.

You pretty much have to relive your first semester of your freshman year all over again. You have to make friends, figure out where all your classes are — all the while praying you don’t look like you have no idea know what you’re doing.

You have to adjust for the second time to a new campus, new professors and new people. It’s an overwhelming transition to say the least.

This transition can be even more overwhelming if you transfer mid-year.

Showing up mid-year can make you feel a little out of place and discombobulated. Wherever you are isn’t where you started and everyone already has their friends, their connections and their extra curriculars.

It’s easy to feel disconnected from campus life when you feel like you’re already behind in getting involved. Whether you transferred in the fall or the spring, here’s a guide to help you feel like this campus is truly your home.

1. Get involved

This seems like a no-brainer, but if you’re a mid-year transfer, braving the cold to find a club might be an easy put-off until it isn’t below freezing outside. But let’s be real, when we put things off, we end up kicking ourselves for how long it took us to actually do it. So, rip that resistance off like a bandaid, bundle up and find yourself some extra curriculars.                                                                                                                 

Every hall from Annenberg to Beury has flyers for different clubs suitable for all majors with contact information and all. Clubs, no matter what time of the year it is, are always looking for new members. Next time you’re out of class, take some time to look into different clubs, you might find something that will both look good on your resume and pique your interest.

2. Get a job on campus

This might not seem very enticing when you’re a full time student. But, getting a job is an awesome way to meet new people and make friends. Whether you’re working in a restaurant or doing work study, having a job on campus can be great — especially when you’re running dangerously low on diamond dollars.

3. Touch base with an advisor

Believe it or not this a really helpful step. Getting your bearings all the while trying to acclimate to a new campus can be difficult, but meeting with an advisor can bring you a little sanity.

Whether you have questions about scheduling for next semester, study abroad or even just how you can get more involved, advisors can help. They can even provide you with a list of clubs you can join and introduce you to other helpful resources that the campus has to offer like the career center or counseling services.  

4. Get to know your roommate

If you’re a transfer who was able to get on-campus housing, getting to know your roommate is essential. Spark up conversations that aren’t just about sleep schedules and room temperature preferences. Roommates can give you pointers about campus, like where the best food is and what the best shortcuts are. They can introduce you to people in your building, on your floor or their friends on campus.

Getting to know your roommate means you don’t have to eat in the dining hall by yourself. It means having someone to vent to when you come back to your dorm after a long day. No one wants to just awkwardly shuffle around each other simply because there was no effort made to get to know one another.

5. Get to know your classmates

This is another one that might seem like a no-brainer, but this is easier said than done. When you’re in class, your there to learn, not be a social butterfly. But, hey, no one said anything about not being able to utilize those group and partner projects to your advantage. Get to know the people in your group so you can extend working on a project together to grabbing coffee after class or getting lunch together.

6. Roam the city

I know this about making Temple your home, but now that Temple is your home, Philadelphia is too, and it’s really a great city to explore in your free time. Take advantage of all the student discounts you get throughout the city! Visit the magic gardens for $5, go the art museum for a discounted rate, walk the halls of eastern state penitentiary for $10. Visit everything that makes this city and the people in it unique.

As a transfer, feeling like you belong may come with time. Hopefully this guide will help speed up that process so you can truly feel like Temple is your home.

Gabby Houck

Temple '22

Journalism major who just wants to speak people’s truths and pet every corgi I see.