Style

5 COSTUMES YOU DEFINITELY ENCOUNTERED THIS HALLOWEEN 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Trends are constantly changing on Halloween, and I still can’t get over all of the new and exciting costumes we saw this Halloweekend. For many people, it’s difficult to find the perfect unique costume that fits their style year after year.  

Whether you’re going in a large group, or creating a costume just for yourself, you always want to try and impress those around you with your fantastic ideas. However, it’s always fun to reference some of pop culture’s most recent trends. Let’s investigate some of the costumes you probably saw this spooky season. 

1. Barbie 

Some of the most popular Halloween costumes are inspired by media that is resurfacing from the past. One of the costumes you definitely encountered the most was Barbie. And no, I’m not just talking about Stereotypical Barbie. Everyone dressed up as all different types of Barbies including Weird Barbie, Nurse Barbie, and even Alan in reference to Greta Gerwig’s 2023 Barbie movie. The Barbie movie has redefined how people see the doll and all different types of people own their inner Barbie. 

If you want to recreate this look next year, here are some items you’ll need: 

1. Oppenheimer 

Now, on the completely opposite side, Oppenheimer, which was released the same day as Barbie, had people dressing up in suits and their best rendition of a porkpie hat. Couples used the release date of both movies to create costumes that contradict each other. 

1. Spider-Man 

Another fan favorite that is resurfacing is Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, which was recently released on Netflix. With Miles Morales came a new popularity to the world-famous character, allowing people to relive their childhood in an entirely new way. 

1. Wednesday Addams 

Sticking with the theme of current media, adoration for Wednesday Addams came back to light due to the release of Wednesday on Netflix back in November 2022. Although the show came out almost a year ago, people weren’t able to show their adoration last Halloween, and this year was their perfect chance. 

1. Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce 

A more recent costume idea surrounds the newfound information about Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s budding relationship. Couples and friends turned the two celebrities into duo costumes now that their relationship has been confirmed by the media.  

If you’re someone who uses Instagram, X, or TikTok, I’m sure you’ve seen at least one if not all of these costumes all over your feed. People combined famous people and characters with their own ideas to create the perfect costume. 

So, if you need any advice a year in advance, think over these popular ideas and see if you can spice them up a bit to your liking. 

I am a freshman journalism major and very interested in photography. I currently work as an assistant supervisor at Sesame Place for the photo department and I want to become a travel journalist.