3 Simple Changes for Quick Weight Loss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With the stress that comes with finishing the out semester strong, working out can be put on the back burner at times. But what about those summer beach bods?! Here are a few easy tips that you can change, make or add to your every day life. You will definitely notice a difference both mentally and physically.

Chewing Gum

According to recent research, people who chew gum burn 5% more calories than non-gum chewers. Chewing gum can compensate for eating less later in the day and people who chew gum after meals consume 68 fewer calories. It doesn’t seem like a big change, but by chewing gum you are cutting out some extra calorie intake. Also, gum is delicious and gives you fresh breath! It’s a win, win.

More Sleep

Finnish researchers did a study on sleep and its patterns relating to weight gain. They found that if you fall into the category of short sleeper – which is 5.5 to 6 hours or less – that you would have trouble losing weight. The reasons for this are probably what you assume; sleeping less means that you are awake more and want to eat more, simple right? But research has also shown that sleeping less causes your body to burn fewer calories and hang on to fat more. Getting enough sleep is a very important factor to losing weight and maintaining your current weight.

Infused Water

Drinking water is a key component in weight loss. Drinking water increases your resting energy expenditure. It can also help boost your metabolism, stop you from over eating, and even improve your mood. Drinking water that doesn’t taste as plain will make you want to drink it more.

Here a couple tips to help you drink more water:

1. Drink a large glass before EVERY meal. One of the easiest things to do and it keeps you hydrated.

2. Drink 8 oz. of water before snacking. We’ve all been learning ‘hangry’ is real and by drinking water before indulging in a snack will allow you body to rethink. Eating something healthy is okay though!

3. Decaffeinated tea. Decaf tea is zero calories!!! And it hydrated you better than water in some cases.

4. Infuse!!! Here are some infused water recipes that are delicious and easy to make.

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.