Start the Year Off Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

The beginning of any semester is chaotic. With new classes, new friends and the abundance of meetings that always take place for so many social events, it is easy to get lost in it all. However, if you start off the semester strong, it will relieve pressure for the rest of the term. Here are some tips to help you start off your year on the right foot and reduce stress as you come back to school.

Basic Organization:

1. Keep a Calendar- College is hectic. You have an incredible amount of freedom and no one reminding you where and when to be somewhere. Find a calendar that works for you! I prefer two separate planners, one for day-to-day activities, such as homework and meetings, and another monthly planner for larger events, such as tests and social events. Go through each class syllabus and write down all of the important dates, like tests and due dates. Then, write down your meetings, social events, and activities to create one master calendar.

2. Set a Routine- This is vital. If you force yourself to be accountable to a schedule, you will avoid spending entire days doing absolutely nothing. Look at your class schedule and carve out time to study.

3. A Clean Life is a Happy Life- Nothing causes more unneeded stress than unnecessary clutter. Keep your desk, room and backpack clean. Not only will you be able to find things more easily, but also it is psychologically proven that an organized living space creates peace of mind.

Study Skills:

1. Rewrite Your Notes- This may seem a bit redundant, but it is proven that you will lose a large portion of the things you learn in class if you don’t review it within a 24 hour period. I usually handwrite notes in class and retype them the next day. This way you will have an organized document to study for exams!

2. Review for Exams in Segments- This should be drilled in your head; do not, under any circumstances, cram for a test the night before. Set a schedule for how you will study a week in advance; you will remember more and reduce anxiety being productive in advance.

3. Studying is Primarily a Solitary Activity- Studying with friends is great at the appropriate times and places, but for the most effective studying you may need to hole yourself off from the rest of the world. Pick a spot where you can study effectively alone, whether it be in your room or at a quiet café. 

4. Put your Phone Away- Having the world at your fingertips is an incredible distraction. Set it on airplane mode and put it away until you get what you need done. We promise Instagram will still be there once you’re done studying.

5. Go to Class- This should be obvious. If you need motivation, take your tuition and divide by the amount of hours you are taking. Then divide it by the number of times your class meets per semester. This will give you the relative cost of each class you decide to skip. Still worth it?

College is a trial and error process- find what works for you! With these tips and your own experience, you can breeze through your semester with less stress and more success. 

Photo Source

TCU, writing major and film minor. A Texas girl who loves anything with a story, and living life between netlflix shows and naps. I hope to one day get a job were all I do is create and read in a big city.