Living With Post-Break Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

It’s officially been about half a month since we’ve been back on campus here at TCU. I had a wonderful winter break; I got to spend time with my family, relax on the beach, cuddle with my pets, and taste the flavors of Hawaii that I missed so dearly!

However, when I returned to campus, I missed my home more than I ever had before. Waaaaay more than when I first came here at the start of the school year. Weird, right? Now I find myself pining away over the absence of the Hawaiian sun and the tropical weather. I miss my family more, and I find I make more of an effort to talk to them a little bit every day over text message! Being torn away from my two adorable cats was no easier than it was the first time (what can I say, they’re my babies). 

The question is “what now?”

What do we do now?

Well, what we do now is go on. I’m focusing on what’s in front of me. I’m determined to achieve straight A’s this semester. I want to make more of an effort to get to know my professors. These are just a few of the goals that I’ve set for myself. 

It’s hard to focus on the here and now when you miss home so much, but time doesn’t stop for anyone, and we have to make this semester the best it can be. Don’t dwell on what you miss. Take note of what you have to be thankful for and make the most of it.

Post-break depression, be gone! None of us have the time or the energy to deal with you right now! 

Originally from the island of O'ahu, Hawai'i, Kalena is a member of the Class of 2020 here at TCU. She loves animals, books, nerding out with her friends, science jokes, and people who make her laugh.
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.