Wellness

A Day in My College Life: Self-Care Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

In our busy college lives– and life in general, having time to indulge in moments of calm, meditative self-care makes all the difference between feeling frazzled and out of control versus confident and put together. Over the past few weeks, I have been finding such joy in any small moment of self-care I can get and the impact is so noticeable to me. I’ve always loved self-care. Whether it’s facemasks, bath bombs, painting my nails or having a movie night, I’m all in. The thing is, I used to be so bent on making self-care an involved process that took so much time and energy that it lost its effect! I’m coming to realize that true self-care can be a part of your everyday routine because self-care is just that: caring for yourself! All you have to do is put a little self-love into everyday normal self-care activities! Day to day life changes so much, but here’s how I usually incorporate self-care into my daily routine:

9:00 a.m. Wake up, make coffee, don’t get on electronics right away!

First of all, I like to wake up with just enough time to enjoy a slow morning, but still get where I need to be on time. For me, that looks like waking up about an hour and a half before I need to be out the door (which doesn’t always happen and that’s okay). I’m a big proponent of getting as much sleep as you need, so I don’t force myself to wake up too early. This way, I can plan an outfit, pop on some mascara, make a cup of coffee and some breakfast that isn’t just a granola bar, plus have a few minutes to myself. I make it a point not to watch Netflix or go on Insta right away because I’d get caught up in them and end up being rushed. My favorite ways to have a few self-care moments in the morning are to do some prompted journaling, meditation, prayer, or leisure reading.

12:30 p.m. Lunch and recharge

I like to do something while I eat that isn’t homework, so usually, I’ll pick an episode of my favorite show to watch and gear up for the rest of my day. I also keep my favorite sparkling water on hand which makes lunch something to look forward to!

1:30 p.m. Homework w/ music

I have a tough time motivating myself to start homework and keep working until it’s done, so I find ways to make it fun. I settle down somewhere comfortable, light a candle/use essential oils, and play my favorite playlist. Keeping up with new music makes me happy, so I’m constantly updating my playlist. Having it on while I do my work helps me stay focused and feel good at the same time.

5:30 p.m. Dinner and whatever needs to be done

Making my meals (even just microwave mac n cheese) makes me feel accomplished, so I usually try to do that. When I can, I save the evening to get things done around my apartment. I have a few favorite podcasts I like to listen to while I do this that make it more like time spent on myself. Plus, when my apartment is clean, I work so much better, so it is time spent doing something I’ll enjoy later!

8:00 p.m. More homework or winding down

At this point, I finish up whatever needs to be done for the next day and schedule out my week in my planner. If I have a light load, I just hang out and do something I love (or call my mom because that always makes my day better)!

9:30 p.m. Shower, skincare, journal

This is my favorite part of the day for sure. I have found that my favorite way to incorporate self-care into every day is to make showering and skincare a ritual. I play my fav music, use new and exciting products, and don’t rush through time spent taking care of myself! Even if it’s later than this– which it usually is, I make time to have a good wind-down routine. After skincare, I sit down with no music or anything distracting and journal/read my Bible. Having this be the last bit of my day always leaves me feeling refreshed and ready for the next day.

Natalie Deptula has loved writing for as long as she can remember including middle school book reports, AP Literature class, and penning poetry in her free time. Her true love for writing was fostered by some incredible English teachers in high school who gave her the space to discover writing to its fullest capacity. As a Her Campus writer, Natalie enjoys discussing all topics, but is especially fond of all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle. Natalie is currently studying Fashion Merchandising and English at Texas Christian University with hopes of writing for the fashion industry after her four years have passed. She isn't sure what this will look like, but is eager to discover her niche along the path to finding out! Other than Her Campus, Natalie is involved in Greek Life, introducing new students to TCU (Frog Camp Facilitator), church minsitry, and any fine arts she can get her hands on. When she's not writing or being a student (which we all know is a full time job!), Natalie loves retail therapy, watching sappy rom-coms, and being around the people she loves.