Why It’s Okay to ‘Eat Your Feelings’ — Once In a While

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s tough to balance the inevitable stress of college student life. I am an athlete who, between training, just wants to indulge in the finer parts in life: food. 

GIPHY

The cliché stereotype of the freshman 15? It may be real, but so is my determination to beat it, even while still eating my feelings every now and again. As an emotional human being, I go through the emotional lengths of someone who has recently landed the lead role in a romantic comedy. So what? I’m sad? Eat. I’m happy? Eat. It’s not the worst thing in the world, and I am here to tell you why.

GIPHY

Indulging in food is easy, but don’t succumb to its tempting power of eating more than you should. However, I do believe that food makes people happy, no matter how deep you could be in your ~feels~. 

So, if you feel like the only way to get through a breakup is eating a whole pie, cut into a slice and enjoy. If you’re feeling like the only way to get through an impending exam is to crack open a mini bag of chips, the go for it (emphasis on the mini). What people avoid tell you is that eating is ok, and there is no reason not to eat whenever you want. 

GIPHY

The key is, just like in everything else, moderation. Without that, we can get carried away with wanting to eat the whole box of crunchy chocolate chip cookies. Understandable, we have all been there. Just remember to enjoy the life you live and the food you eat.

GIPHY  

Erin is a senior at The College of New Jersey; she majors in Communications and is minoring in Professional Writing and Graphic Design. Erin is currently HCTCNJ's President. When she's not writing, Erin runs on TCNJ's track team; she loves to read, dance around, and spend time with her friends.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.