The Lalabest Friends
The Lalabest Friends
Her Campus Media

Stop Comparing Yourself to Influencers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Let’s face it, we’re all guilty of opening the Instagram app at some point in our lives and asking ourselves, 

“What did I come on here for again?”

Things have most likely not changed in the 5 minutes that you opened it last. Nevertheless, our thumbs lead us to the feed, sometimes before our brain has time to process what we’re doing. We’ve all had a lot more time to self-reflect and assess, and check in on who’s posting what. With all of this visual content (and plenty of beautiful people) I personally don’t think I’ve ever noticed how many mirrors there actually are in my house.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the timeline is all about presenting the image you want to give off to people. We’re all obsessed with showing that we’re “good” and well off, when that’s not always the truth. A picture or a video is such a miniscule fragment in time, and a mere few seconds of someone’s life story.

In the grand scheme of things, you are the only one in control of your own being and perception. Comparison of any sort is almost always a losing battle. It’s like trying to hold water in your hands, it’s nearly impossible, and you can waste a whole lot of time doing it. If you ever find yourself feeling stuck in a social media rut, I invite you to ask yourself,

“Am I growing from this?”

It is incredible to be able to say that social media can be used as a stepping stone for people to make their dreams come true. At the same time, we have a constant way to keep tabs with everyone on the planet (or close to everyone on the planet at this point).

My advice for anyone who feels where I’m coming from would be to take notice of any negative mental shifts you may feel while doing your daily scrolls. This may be a sign to step away and tap into your own personal needs, because that should always come first. You are deserving of the most amazing things, and when you plug into yourself, you may realize all you could ever want, have, or need, is right here inside you.

Grace Reynoso is a Senior Communications Major with a Public/Mass Media track. She is originally from Ridgewood, New Jersey and has always been into all things beauty, fashion, and music! Grace also loves creating new looks on her makeup page and writing songs! Follow her on Instagram: @grace.reynoso, her makeup IG @glossbygracie_, and on Spotify: @urfriendgrace
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.