This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

This week, February 17th-23rd, is National Engineers Week. It is a celebration of the global difference engineers make, an opportunity to increase public dialogue about the need for engineers, and allows engineering to be brought to life for kids, educators, and parents!

Thursday, February 21st, is Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day (Girl Day). Throughout my years as an engineering student, I have had the opportunity through the Society of Women Engineers to meet many Girl Scouts and introduce them to Engineering and do STEM activities with them. It is always so exciting to watch them imagine, learn, and engage in physics and engineering in a fun way! Girl Day helps focus the movement to inspire young girls to pursue futures in engineering. Sharing knowledge with them and having fun helps them learn that they can make a difference one day doing something they enjoy! The Society of Women Engineers will be visiting Girl Scouts again this Tuesday.

In honor of National Engineers Week, I want to share some of the opportunities engineering has brought me in 2019 so far:

In January, I attended the NASA Human Research Program Investigators’ Workshop in Galveston, Texas with other members of my research lab. We were able to spend a day touring Johnson Space Center while we were there and meet so many hard working, inspiring engineers.

IMG Source: Jen Piserchia

Last week, I attended the Society of Women Engineers 2019 Local Conference in Baltimore, Maryland along with some other executive board members. We heard inspiring talks from other women in the field and engaged in insightful workshops. The conference’s career fair offered us the opportunity to meet with employers and explore job opportunities.

IMG Source: Jen Piserchia

Both of these conferences were enriching experiences that were both intellectually stimulating and fostered creativity. It feels like a national progression to have come from these conferences and to now be celebrating National Engineers Week.

If you are interested in finding out how you can get involved or learning more about engineering in general, email swe@tcnj.edu.

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.