A Love Letter to the Dog I Lost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

February 20th is National Love Your Pet Day – it’s time to thank the furry family friends in your life for their unconditional love and friendship. It’s the perfect excuse to go home for the weekend, or at least set up Face Time with your pet… You know we’re all guilty of doing this! However, my family’s furry friend passed away this year, and I thought the best way for me to celebrate this holiday was to write a love letter to my lost puppy.

Dear Pup,

I remember being a little giddy 4th grader, driving down to the home that rescued you, and looking at my brother with a smile – we both knew we were going to have to do some serious convincing to Mom and Dad so that we could bring our first dog home. But, that wasn’t the case – you made it easy. How could they say no to you?

Since then, you fit right in. You were what I looked forward to coming home to from school to play with. You were the best to walk – you always loved chasing the squirrels, like you could actually get them. Your carelessness when it came to playing with you and snuggling with you was so comforting. Your unconditional love and kisses taught me a lesson in life to always look on the bright side. You helped me grow into the (crazy dog-loving) person I am today.

When I went to college, you were mad. You were just as mad as when the family used to pack up the house for summer vacations every year – you wouldn’t even give me a kiss goodbye, because you didn’t know when I’d be back. But when I came home, you wouldn’t leave my side. I so looked forward to your wet nose and barks for attention the second I got in the door.

Aw pup, things are so hard without you now. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss my brother, my best friend, and practically my boyfriend. For National Love Your Pet Day this year, I’m going to be thinking about you all day. I hope you’re eating bones and running around in the snow up in heaven. I miss you puppy!

Whether your pets are in your arms, away from home, or a memory, we hope everyone remembers to “Love Your Pet” today! 

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.