Lauren Plawker: Mental Health Advocate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The student organization TCNJ SAFE held an event on Tuesday, November 18 at 6:30 p.m. orchestrated in part by Lauren Plawker called “Welcoming Wellness: A Night of Connection and Support.”

The event, which consisted of group discussions and speeches by students regarding mental and emotional wellness, was a huge hit according to Lauren, a sophomore international studies major. Plawker is just one of the few people responsible for the success of this particular event. “It was awesome,” said Plawker. “88 people showed up…I wasn’t expecting that many.”

Plawker is the secretary and co-founder of TCNJ SAFE (the Student Alliance to Facilitate Empathy), which is only one part of the TCNJ Wellness League. The Wellness Leagues consists of four student organizations sharing a mental health initiative, including To Write Love on Her Arms, Active Minds and Circle of Compassion, in addition to TCNJ SAFE.

Plawker and her friend, senior psychology major Derek Giannone, are co-founders of TCNJ SAFE. TCNJ SAFE is an entirely student-run organization, formatted to be like a support group.

“It is completely nondirective,” said Plawker. “We understand that we are not licensed therapists and nobody gives advice … It’s a place where everyone can just be.”

What this club stands for is very important to Plawker because mental health is an area that affects her personally. She also spoke out at the “Stigmonologues” in October about stigmas she had been fighting for most of her life, such as weight-based discrimination.

“I’m pretty open about the things I struggle with, but it’s important to recognize that almost everyone struggles….Having a mental illness makes you much more aware of others struggling,” said Plawker.

It is clear that TCNJ SAFE encourages an issue close to Lauren’s heart, as she is so passionate about it, having experienced these issues firsthand.

The reason mental health is so incredibly important is that it’s not isolated to just one campus or one city or one group of people. It affects so many people, but the stigma is so strong…if everyone is affected, then why are people shaming it?” The first step to get rid of the mental illness stigma is awareness, said Plawker.

“We need to educate to create a supportive environment…Communicate, advocate, and exhibit empathy and compassion.”

Plawker offered advice for any students struggling with mental health. “I know this is easier said than done, I really do, but just talk – to a friend, CAPS, a counselor, TCNJ SAFE…But there are more people fighting battles than you can imagine. You are not alone.”

TCNJ SAFE currently meets on Wednesdays at 1:15 in SSB 105 but this is subject to change.  You can contact them through their Facebook page or email them at tcnjsafe@tcnj.edu