Style > Beauty

The Importance of Facemasks and Finding Time for Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I know exactly what it’s like to feel like there is too much to do and not enough time to do it, but that is not the excuse to use when it comes to taking the initiative of self-care. The topic at hand here is the importance of face masks and how easy they are to use. There is nothing I love more than just getting back to my room and taking the 10 to 20 minutes out of my day to revitalize my skin with a plentiful facemask. If you still don’t think you can find the time out of your day, here is a list of activities that you can do while treating yourself to a facemask.

Photo Source: Sephora 

• Watching your favorite shows
  • Reading a book
  • Studying
  • Doing homework
  • Procrastinating
  • Taking online quizzes
  • Getting sidetracked on social media
  • Hanging out in the lounge
  • Sitting around with your friends
  • Finding the perfect show to watch on Netflix
  • Reading this Her Campus article (gotcha!)

While I might now have you convinced that you owe it to yourself to take the initiative and treat your face to the facemask it deserves, it’s time to explore the different types of face masks and what to look for. There are many different types of face masks such as sheets, peel-off, and regular (smear on and wash off). My personal favorite is the regular leave on and rinse off since I feel they give you a much deeper, refreshing feel, but peel-off and sheet masks are perfect if you’re just looking for a quick rinse. Here are my tips to be wary about and brands/products that I love. I am a huge fan of LUSH cosmetics’ face masks, especially the Mask of Magnaminty. This mask is all that I have been using for months and I swear by it. Before ever using this wonderful face mask, I used Formula 10.0.6’s peel-off face masks which will practically become your best friend if you want a nice refreshing feeling in a pinch. One thing to be cautious of is getting too attached and putting the mask on every day which most of the time leads to breakouts as most masks are meant for a weekly deep clean rather than daily. This being said, 9 times out of 10, over-using is never a good idea. Therefore, always follow the instructions on the facemask especially when it says to only us the product every so often. Even if you aren’t necessarily looking to spend the money as of right now, there are home remedies which might be a fun little DIY project to do with your girls or just a fun activity to get your mind off of things.

Moral of the story: it’s not immoral to treat yourself to a face-mask and healthcare!!!