Wellness > Health

How to Be a Morning Person, From a Night Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s no secret that high school, college, and work make people wake up at an unbearable time in the morning. Some people can live with it, others (including myself) cannot. There is no in-between. 

I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who could wake up at the crack of dawn and have the whole day ahead of me. High school-me could never achieve that, though. I’m guilty of sleeping in until late afternoon after staying awake until 2 a.m. browsing social media and watching Netflix. College me, however, has urged herself to get up and be productive. Here’s my tips for doing just that!

GIPHY

1. Give yourself a reason to wake up in the morning 

GIPHY  

It’s cheesy, but it’s true. Make the best out of everything, no matter how small it can be. Whether it’s the newest Marvel movie that’s coming out soon, seeing your friends, or even the bomb outfit you have planned for the next day, there’s always something in life to look forward to. It’s admittedly harder to get up in the morning without a goal for the next day set. 

2. Prepare the night before 

Times of India

Set any and all alarms, but don’t hit snooze! Set out your clothing, review your schedule, and don’t “leave it until tomorrow.” I cannot stress the feeling of relief in the morning when everything you need to do is already done for you, thanks to your past self. 

3. Trick Your Alarm 

GIPHY

This tip might be torture to some people, but it really does help to not hit snooze. If you want to take it up a notch, set your phone (or alarm clock) on the opposite side of the room. That way, when you wake up in the morning, you are forced to physically get out of bed to turn off the obnoxious noise. As a result, you’ve already completed your first task: getting out of bed.

4. Enjoy your breakfast and drink some coffee (if you like it). 

Pexels

A healthy first meal of the day will definitely help wake you up and energize you. Eat something that provides a healthy balance of protein, whole grains, and some fruits or vegetables. Coffee isn’t necessary but I know for a fact that coffee has helped me start my day quicker. Just be sure to not overdo the caffeine!  

Being a morning person, especially while being a college student, is no easy task. Gradually allow yourself to follow these tips. Little by little, it can get easier to be a morning person. Now, get some consistent sleep and be the more productive college student you can be! 

Camille Germo is a senior undergraduate psychology major with a minor in Spanish at The College of New Jersey. She hopes to become a child therapist in the future. During her free time, she enjoys reading books, watching films, and taking photos.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.