Chris Kalb: President of TCNJ Men’s Club Basketball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

He’s arguably one of the tallest people on campus and you can always find him in the Rec Center shooting hoops, sometimes sporting a ‘Ball is Life’ t-shirt. Chris Kalb is the first-ever president of TCNJ’s Men’s Club Basketball. Senioritis is no match for Kalb, as he is working diligently to make the team the best they can be while working tirelessly to schedule tournaments against other competitive teams in the state, all while looking for jobs and being a student. HCTCNJ sat down with Kalb to talk all about the newest club sport on campus and its promising future.

When did you start playing basketball? Have you played it through college?

I have been playing basketball my whole life, so it was really disappointing to find out that there was no opportunity to play competitively in college. I still played pick up basketball often but it was not the same level of intensity that loved in high school.

Source Instagram

Can you describe the process of getting Men’s Club Basketball approved?

It was more difficult than expected. Through my first few years at TCNJ, there was a memorandum in place which prevented new club sports teams from being formed. Thanks to the hiring of Shawn Dean, however, the memorandum was lifted and I was able to start the team. It just would have been nice to have been able to do it as a freshman rather than as a senior.

What do you hope the team accomplishes in the coming semester?

The team finally was able to compete in its first tournament over winter break at Rowan. We lost in the championship, but it was a great opportunity for a new team.

What are you most excited about for Men’s Club Basketball?

Honestly, I’m really excited for practices. Basketball practice was such a huge part of my life that has been missing for the last 4 years.

As a senior, what do you hope to leave Men’s Club Basketball upon graduation?

I hope to leave a Men’s Club Basketball in the position I wish it had been when I arrived at TCNJ. I hope to leave the team with a bright future and the chance to join a league and play competitively together.

Of course, I couldn’t end the interview without asking the most important question:

Michael Jordan or Lebron James? Why?

While MJ might be more clutch and have won more championships, I personally believe that Lebron is more impactful. Without MJ, the Bulls still made it to the conference championship. Without Lebron, the Cavs were the worst team in the league.

Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.