Bunyad Bhatti: Intern on Capitol Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

This weeks profile is on Bunyad Bhatti, a junior Political Science major and a Women & Gender Studies and Arabic minor.

Bunyad Bhatti is an active member within the TCNJ community as well as in her own community by making sure she has time to follow her passion, and also keep up with her social life.

This past summer, she interned on Capitol Hill with a congresswoman from Texas. During her time there, she was able to sit in on Congressional hearings as well as meet with influential individuals such as Cory Booker. Plus, she was 1 of 5 Muslims in the whole country to receive this opportunity. Her internship has helped her gain a multitude of skills that she hopes to bring to TCNJ.

At TCNJ, Bhatti is an active member in Debate Club, Women in Learning and Leadership (WILL) and she is the Vice President of the Muslim Students Association (MSA). She is extremely passionate about all three organizations because each one has helped her expand her network as well as become a mentor to underclassmen. These clubs have undoubtedly played a role in shaping who she is today. “The best lessons I have learned never came from a classroom and that’s why I think it is important to be more active within a community”.

“As a commuter, I did not want to attend classes and just go home. I felt as though people were only friends with their floor so joining these clubs gave me the best friends that I still have today.”

Her summer internship has given her valuable skills and lessons that she hopes to infuse within her activities at TCNJ. “The best lesson I have learned is from those who have been where I am and know where I want to go.” At TCNJ she hopes to continue working on her public speaking skills as well as bring her connections and strategies to target the underclassmen by helping them with what they want to do.

There were three tips she wishes to give to the TCNJ community:

1. Keep a positive attitude when working with people because your attitude affects everything.
  2. Find something that can connect you with others because people will remember more than just your name.
  3. VOTE! It is extremely important that your voice be heard because “every vote is as powerful as the next.”

Keep up your passion and hard work!

A current elementary education student at TCNJ. I have a passion for teaching, I love to write, watch TV, I'm a foodie and love anything related to fashion/beauty!
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.