This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We’re always on the hunt to find new music. We have a habit of excessively listening to our favorite playlist on repeat, then immediately getting sick of the songs. If this sounds familiar- this list is for you! Here are 10 up-and-coming artists who have just made their mark in 2015, and will find their way on your new playlist.

1. Halsey

· Born Ashley Nicolette Frangipane on September 29, 1994, Halsey grew up in Washington, New Jersey. At age 14, she learned to play her first song on her guitar-Taylor Swift’s “Fifteen.” The name ‘Halsey’ came from an anagram of her real first name as well as a street she used to spend a lot of her time on in Brooklyn.

· Halsey is identified as an electropop and indie pop artist. Give a listen to one of her first singles, “New Americana.” Some more hits include “Hurricane” and “Gasoline.” 

2. Fetty Wap

· “Hey! What’s up? Hello!” With those lyrics, Willie Maxwell II, also known as Fetty Wap, made a name for himself. He is another New Jersey resident, hailing from Paterson. His name is a combination of a slang word for making money (Fetty) and a tribute to Gucci Mane’s alias, GuWop (Wap).

· If you’re sick of “679” and “My Way” from constant plays on the radio, try his newest single, “Again.” Other songs off his debut album include “RGF Island” or “How We Do Things.” 

3. Tori Kelly

· Victoria Loren Kelly was born on December 14, 1992 in Wildomar, California. Her beginnings in the music industry started when she posted music videos on YouTube at age 14. She began to gain traction as a singer when she auditioned and competed for a short period on American Idol.

· If you’re heartbroken, listen to “All in My Head” from her first EP, “Dear No One” from her second EP, or “Should’ve Been Us” from her debut album. If you’re truly madly deeply in love, listen to “Nobody Love” or “I Was Made for Loving You” featuring Tori’s BFF Ed Sheeran.

4. Vance Joy

· James Keogh hails from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The 27-year-old Aussie’s first commercial success came with the song “Riptide” in 2013 and was certified triple platinum in Australia. Vance Joy has been of the opening acts on Taylor Swift’s The 1989 Tour for the past few months- they are currently playing shows in Australia.  

· Give a listen to his 1989 setlist, which includes songs from his most recent album Dream Your Life Away: “From Afar,” “Georgia,” and of course his most famous hit, “Riptide.”  

5. James Bay

· Born on September 4, 1990, James Bay was brought up in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England. Once he began studying in Brighton, he performed at open mic nights, which he equates to furthering and motivating his career. After a fan uploaded his performance on YouTube, he was signed to Republic Records.

· His two most popular songs include “Let It Go” and “Hold Back the River.” Give a listen to “When We Were on Fire,” and “Move Together” as well. 

6. Jess Glynne

·  Jessica Glynne hails from Hampstead in London, England. She auditioned for The X Factor when she was 15 but was rejected. After she took some time to travel, she worked at a music management company and began networking to put her on the right track. In August 2013 she signed a contract with Atlantic Records. She has provided vocals for several different artists, including her most famous for Clean Bandit on “Rather Be,” which she won a Grammy for in 2014.

· Her voice is so powerful that any song you listen to will instantly brighten your day. Give a listen to her current single “Hold My Hand,” her first vocal performance with Route 94 on “My Love, Don’t Be So Hard on Yourself,” and “Real Love” from her debut album.

7. Alessia Cara 

· Born on July 11, 1996, Alessia Caracciolo, comes to us from Brampton in Ontario, Canada. At age 10, she began playing the guitar and learning various songs, which then sparked her YouTube channel of those covers 3 years later. In 2015, she signed with EP Entertainment and Def Jam Recordings.

· Give a listen to these songs from her new album: “Wild Things,” “Seventeen,” and “Four Pink Walls.” Her songs are instantly perfect for those teenage angst days that we all have, or simply just for a boost of upbeat energy. 

8. Rachel Platten

· Rachel Ashley Platten is a 34-year-old singer who grew up in Newton Centre, Massachusetts. She sang in her high school’s singing group and furthered herself in a collegiate a capella group known as the Trinitones. A gig as a backup singer for a friend’s band in Trinidad in front of 80,000 people sparked her performance career.

· While her newest album has yet to be released, Rachel Platten has released a single you should definitely give a listen to called “Stand By You.” Her EP Fight Song has four songs- give a listen to them all! 

9. Shawn Mendes

· The youngest artist on the list at just 17-years-old, singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes hails from Toronto, Canada. He began his career in 2013 by posting song covers on Vine, where he grew instant popularity with his unique voice. He signed a record deal with Island Records in January 2014. Within the year, he released his first single “Life of the Party.”

· Off his debut studio album, give a listen to his most popular hit at the moment, “Stitches.” Also, listen to his debut single “Life of the Party,” and the hit “Something Big.”

10. Years & Years

· The only trio on the list is the British electronica group Years & Years. The band was formed in 2012 after two members met online after a move from Australia to London. After hearing lead vocalist Olly Alexander singing in the shower, he was later added to the group. Their first single, “I Wish I Knew,” was released in July 2012 when the group had expanded to a five-piece.

· Give a listen to their first mainstream single “King” off their debut album. More songs featured on that album include “Desire” and “Border.”

Christina MazzeoClass of 2018Marketing Major