The Best Small Businesses to Support this Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Self-care is different for each person. For instance, self-care for one person might involve playing a video game, but for another, it involves lighting a candle and curling up with a good book. Another person’s idea of self-care might involve getting a manicure. Self-care is important and it’s a good idea to use the time in quarantine to figure out what self-care looks like to you. The following is a curated list of self-care gift ideas that also support small businesses to give your Mother or a loved one this Mother’s day (or a gift for yourself).

1. The Nerdy Book Box

Photo from Kira auf der Heide from Unsplash 

The Nerdy Book Box is created by Tamara. She noticed that Indie (or self-published) authors don’t get the hype they deserve when their book comes out. She launched The Nerdy Book Box with the hopes of introducing indie authors to other readers. She also wanted to create products that were centered around these books because she noticed that many of her favorite indie authors didn’t have any merchandise. She wanted to give a chance to shine the light on smaller authors who are not as well known to readers. She also works with other small business owners to create products for indie-authored books. The box comes with an art print, a map or something to do with the book, whipped scented soap, and a bookmark. The products are different each month but it always involves one practical item.

2. ICEYDESIGNS

Photo by Olya P on Unsplash  

New York Times best-selling author Hafsah Faizal sells these bookish gift sets which you can find here. Hafsah Faizal also sells candles, notebooks, planners, and other fandom-related merchandise. For example, she also sells the True Beauty candle, We Hunt the Flame merchandise,  and bookmarks inspired by Red, White, and Royal Blue. You can also check out my interview with Hafsah on her NYT Best-Selling book, We Free the Stars here.

3. Vontelle Eyewear by Grace and Harris

Photo by Lensabl  from Unsplash 

After Covid-19 hit, Grace and Harris started selling face masks in addition to glasses. You can check out their store here. This is a black-owned small business. They sell sunglasses and masks which will be perfect for this summer! The masks are essential and they look cute when you’re running errands.

4. MAHACOSMETICS

Photo by Jamie Street from Unsplash 

Maha is a self-taught beauty guru with 16.3 K followers on Instagram. She has a small business where she sells eyelash bundles that are milkshake-themed. She often has sales over the holidays and her bundle is perfect for the mom who misses getting dressed up. On her personal makeup page, Maha also does Disney-inspired eyeshadow looks that she pairs with her eyelashes. I highly recommend checking out her page if you or your loved one are into makeup. You can check out her store here and her makeup page here.

5. Neelam (@thesundokuchronicles)

Photo by Thought Catalog on Pexels 

Neelam is a UK-Based Etsy seller. She has a book subscription box, pins, bookmark, and other fandom-related merchandise but she caters specifically towards diverse authors. One of her recent boxes was the Muslim Shelf Space Box. It included merchandise from The City of Brass, Ayesha at Last, Love from A to Z, She Wore Red Trainers, All the Things We Never Said, and We Hunt the Flame. You can check out her store here. She also has A Song of Wraiths and Ruin and An Ember in the Ashes merchandise.

What do you like to do for self-care? Do you have any favorite small businesses that weren’t mentioned in the top 5? If yes, feel free to comment with a link to the store if the business is a small business that has self-care or essential gifts. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Mother’s Day!

Amani is a senior at The College of New Jersey. She is currently an English Literature major with a minor in psychology.
Minji Kim

TCNJ '22

Minji is a senior English and Elementary Education major who is passionate about skincare, turtlenecks, and accurate book-to-movie adaptations.