Adriana Carrig Botti: Founder of Little Words Project and TCNJ Alumni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

The College of New Jersey’s very own, Adriana Carrig (Botti), took the campus by storm all day last Wednesday, participating in the panel at Women’s LeadHERship Conference and hosting a Trunk Show for Little Words Project – her passion project turned successful global accessory line. Carrig is the definition of Girl Boss, and coincidentally, the roots of her success stem back to her sorority here at TCNJ.

If you have yet to hear about Little Words Project, I can give you the low-down. Little Words are crystal or beaded bracelets and each bracelet features a unique, inspirational word. The idea is to wear your Little Word bracelet for as long as the word continues to resonate with you, or until you meet someone who needs the word more than you do. Then, pass on your bracelet to someone else. You’ll never loose your Little Words, though, because you can register and track your bracelets by the individualized number on your word’s gold-tipped tag.

There are over 25 words you can choose from, and if you can’t find a word that’s the perfect fit for you, you can bulk order a customizable bracelet – perfect for a wedding party, sports team, or sorority.

Image Source

And, speaking of, a sorority is where this very movement began. When Carrig was an active member of Delta Zeta, she found herself in search of a way to uplift and inspire her sisters, who were stuck in a world of girl-hate and bullying. She looked down at her wrist, where she saw the bracelets she began making in high school – a version of the now known Little Words – with reminders such as “Smile” and “Be Fearless.” It was the perfect project for her, and she decided to make a batch of the bracelets for her DZ sisters. She called them Warm Fuzzies.

Adriana encouraged her sisters to wear their bracelet as long as they needed it, and to then pass it along to another sister. The idea was an instant hit throughout the organization and her sisters motivated and persuaded her to branch out. Today, the sisters of Delta Zeta pass down family Little Words bracelets to the newest members, pledge classes order group bracelets, and the members constantly promote the brand and live the mantra of “Just Be Nice.”

Image Source

“Nice” isn’t nearly as sparkly enough of a word to describe the character of Adriana. After only a quick exchange with the entrepreneur, you will feel the positivity and merriment radiating from her. Carrig’s passion for what she does is encouraging: she sticks to her goals of bringing the female community together and embodies the loving, positive, giving nature she wants her customers to develop.

Although Little Words Project is a jewelry and accessory line, the goal for the brand reaches beyond materialized products. In an interview with Daniela Milosheska of Mind This Magazine, Adriana said, “I want to see this company have an impact on girls and women of all ages and not just via jewelry. I would like to see our ‘Nice Girl’ concept sweep the nation in the form of school clubs and summer programs. We want to make sure that girls understand the importance of kindness above all else and are able to apply what we represent to their day to day lives. Until then, we are going to keep selling as many bracelets as possible to expand our influence and inspire girls through the inspiration on their wrist.”

Image Source

All Little Words purchases come in adorable pink packaging with stickers of various female-empowerment quotes, such as “Just Be Nice” and “GRL PWR.” In purchasing a bracelet, not only are you supporting a TCNJ alumni; you’re also encouraging yourself to embody that word, and you’re contributing to the empowerment of women across the country. Shop for your word here, follow the Project on Instagram here and follow TCNJ’s Campus Nice Girls here.

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.