This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

A new semester is always a popular time for setting new goals and resolutions, some of which you will maintain with more success than others. Likewise, it is also a great time for starting anew, in more ways than just academics.

If you find yourself reflecting on your life last year and know you need to set some goals to work towards or are not sure what to do differently to make yourself a little happier or more at peace with where you are in life, here are some suggestions for things you should do more of this semester.

1. Wake up to watch the sunrise

Alternatively, this could be watching the sunset. Since the sun rises from the direction of Lake Sylva, sitting out by the lake is one of the best places to watch it rise. If you’re not up for braving the cold this time of year, and you have an east-facing window, start the day by sitting by the window while sipping your morning coffee (or tea!, if you’re like me).

2. Wake up at least an hour before your morning classes

Some of you might do this already, but for others, this doesn’t make sense. I personally know many people who are able to roll out of bed 20 minutes before a class starts and make it there on time, but I don’t understand how you can get ready so quickly. Waking up at least an hour before classes gives you ample time to shower in the mornings, eat breakfast and dress leisurely. You have time to pick a cute outfit rather than living in leggings and t-shirts, and style your hair and makeup beyond just a ponytail, if you choose. I think the way you start your mornings determines how the rest of your day goes and a leisurely morning ensures you don’t set a tone of stress for your day.

3. Find a hobby you can pour yourself into

Everyone needs something they do when they aren’t working or being a student. Find something to do when you’re bored instead of scrolling through social media. It might be running, or baking or calligraphy, but it should be something you look forward to doing with your free time. It might take you a while to find your hobby or you might have multiple ones, but everyone should find something they like doing.

4. Do something out of character

Maybe you’re not a big traveler or you only do things with a large group of friends. If that’s the case, try planning a spring break trip or a long weekend getaway. Find an activity to do alone rather than with lots of people. It’s easy to get stuck in

5. Cook something you haven’t heard of before

Take a chance at trying out a new cuisine, or a new cooking technique. This is your opportunity to grab a few friends and go on a food adventure without leaving your apartment, or in the dorm kitchens. You can try making a meal from a certain country or region, or if you aren’t already one, try making a vegan or vegetarian meal, for example. Even cooking together can be an enjoyable experience if you are with people you like.

6. Put a face mask on regularly

I find it easy to skip a skincare routine when I’m tired and all I want to do is fall into bed and sleep. However, if you set aside a day or even just a night either weekly or bi-weekly to dedicate as self-care time, you won’t forget or brush off face masks or any skincare or even haircare routine you have.

7. Stargaze by the lake

This one is something to do more when the weather gets warmer. On clear nights, you can see the stars when you’re sitting by the lake or simply on the ABE lawn. It is also one of the most quiet and peaceful areas at night, at least in my opinion. Even staying out there for just 10 minutes at a time can give you enough time to reflect on anything or to just relax and let go of whatever that day brought you. This is something I see myself doing a lot more of this semester.

8. Stretch your body daily

It’s easy to resolve to work out and go to the gym more often, but stretching is just as essential to our bodies as working out our muscles. I find myself much less flexible now than I was even freshman year, and so I’m working myself back up to my previous flexibility levels by stretching. According to Harvard Health, stretching allows your muscles to perform different motions by keeping them long, lean, and flexible. You can just spread out a yoga mat in your room and even put on an episode of your favorite show to keep you company while stretching.

9. Journal your thoughts

You certainly don’t have to document your entire day in a journal, or even record every other day. I used to think journaling was a form of documentation or record-keeping, but now I realize it’s more of a tool to reflect and process on things when you need to and you won’t always need to. Even while just writing down what happened, you can reach a new understanding of the situation or see a new perspective.

10. Keep up with current events

This is something I’ve heard almost non-stop since coming to college. I admit though, there are times when my source of information is almost solely social media and while it’s fine to use social media to see what’s going on in the world around, more often than not, the posts you see there are based on opinion and feelings more than fact and show you only the author’s perspective. It’s good to balance that with more direct sources such as the Wall Street Journal or The Atlantic, for example. There are always plenty of deals floating around for student discounts on these subscriptions, so make sure you look for them. Alternatively, if you don’t find anything sticking in your mind from such new sources, the Skimm is a more informal news source that you can use. I’ve even heard of Flipboard as a more informal source.

Anandita is a junior at TCNJ, majoring in economics and minoring in English
Maddi is the current President and Campus Correspondent for HCTCNJ. She is a senior journalism student at The College of New Jersey who loves pugs, napping, and all things food.