jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Commandments of TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Hey TCNJ! So it’s been a month since freshman move-in, and you probably have a good lay of the land already. But Ewing can be a tricky place to be! Whether you can’t find lot 7, you’re lost in the lines at the Stud during meal equiv, or you’re shoving TDubs down your throat, there should be some things to keep in mind while you’re a student at TCNJ. Don’t fret! The 10 Commandments of TCNJ are here to guide you during your four years and lead you to divine intervention.

1. Thou Shalt NEVER miss Meal Equiv

Meal Equivalency (also known as meal equiv, equiv, and quiv) encourages students who live on campus with meal plans to eat at Traditions, the Stud, the Library Café, the Education Café, or the STEM Forum Café instead of going to Eick. By doing so, you receive $8.31 worth of food (between the hours of 11:00 and 1:30) WITHOUT using your points. TCNJ Dining Services pays for your lunch. Don’t miss meal equiv.

2. Thou Shalt go to the Activities Fair and sign up for every club, and then never go to any of the meetings

Oh come on. We ALL do this. Getting the emails doesn’t really make you an active member, but it doesn’t stop you from putting it on your resume a couple months later either.

3. Thou Shalt gain the freshman 15 from TDubs

Mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese, burritos, ice cream, chicken tenders. Pick your poison, whatever it is. Because you will come to love the greasy (but addicting) food they offer at TDubs. Every time you stumble in through the back doors of the towers, you KNOW that you’re taking that sweet visit to eat tenders with honey mustard. You just know.

4. Thou Shalt not take a room in the lib if you’re by yourself

This. Should. Be. Self-explanatory. If you are by yourself studying, grab a table out in the open. It’s rude and inconvenient to make a study group walk from floor to floor looking for a room. Have mercy on us all and sit in the cafe.

5. Thou Shalt have a break down at least twice a year

While TCNJ likes to have its fun, academics come first here. So it’s perfectly natural that you have your semesterly break down over classes, exams, drama, life, etc. It happens to everyone, and you’re not alone, so cry it out!

6. Thou Shalt complain about living in Ewing/on campus DAILY​

I feel like this is a common conversation topic. While I know we all love and cherish Ewing, it is a strange place to be, and you won’t fully understand what I mean until you live here.

7. Thou Shalt debate over the existence of Central Jersey and pork roll vs. Taylor ham

As a state school, most people who go to TCNJ, a good 95%, are from New Jersey. While that’s a good and bad thing, the debate over Central Jersey and taylor ham vs. pork roll is usually one that is hotly contested! Get used to those daily arguments.

8. Thou Shalt jump in the fountain

This is a given. During your undergrad years at TCNJ, you have to jump into the fountain. This is probably all you hear during orientation week, but ‘tis true. It’s bad luck if you don’t!

9.Thou Shalt spend all of your points WAY before the semester is over

This has to happen at least once while at TCNJ. At the beginning of the semester, you think there is no way you’ll spend all 250 of your points before November. That’s where you’re mistaken. After many late nights in TDubs, early morning lib coffee runs, and lunches at Traditions, your points will eventually dwindle to zero.

10. Thou Shalt have the best four years of your life.

I’m only a sophomore, and I know I will cherish the people, experiences, and memories TCNJ has brought me. Relish every second Ewing gives you.

Image courtesy of the author

Nicole Bachrach is a Sophomore Communications/Public Relations major and Law/Politics/Philosophy minor and the Pinterest Social Media Specialist on the HC E-Board at TCNJ.
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.