My BeReal as I got tattooed
My BeReal as I got tattooed
Photo by Allison McGregor

Sooooo… I Got My First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

This may be just me, but the first half of January was kind of a drag. After I flew back to College Station for my second semester, Texas basically froze over, and there wasn’t anything interesting to do. Unless…

I have always wanted a tattoo. I thought having little symbols or sayings of things that meant a lot to you all over your body was the coolest idea EVER. For the past few years, I’ve actually kept a list in my notes app with tattoo ideas. Now that I’m 18 with my own money, the idea of getting a tattoo became less of a dream and more of a goal, something feasible. So, I got to work, and started doing some research.

Back in November, I realized I wanted something that pretty much summed up my mental health journey while also paying homage to one of my favorite artists, Fall Out Boy. I wanted a lyric from their 2008 song (Coffee’s For Closers), that said “change will come.” After looking on Pinterest for style ideas, I decided I wanted the lyric to be mirrored, so I could look at it for myself while also showing it off to the world. As time passed, I fell in love with this design more and more, and I finally felt like I wanted to commit to it! Now came the stressful part: finding a good artist.

After a day or two of various Google searches, I found a tattoo shop that was 100% run by women that was only 1.5 miles away from the university called Sacred Sisters Tattoo Studio. Score! After looking at the artists’ portfolios, I decided I wanted to go with Heather, as she had done a lot of delicate fine line tattoos that looked great. I set up an appointment, and it was all in place: I was going to get my first tattoo.

When my appointment rolled around, I was a little bit nervous, but Heather quickly put my mind at ease. She was so thorough with explaining the whole process, and she triple checked that the placement was perfect! She made sure I was comfortable and that I didn’t have any questions.

The actual tattoo process wasn’t that bad! I even took my BeReal (cover photo) during it! One of my favorite BeReals ever, tbh. The tattoo felt like a prolonged cat scratch, and while it was uncomfortable, it wasn’t painful! The forearm is apparently one of the least painful spots for a tattoo, so I’m glad I got my first one there. The entire tattoo took about 45 minutes, and Heather was so thorough once again while explaining the aftercare process.

Note: don’t accidentally leave your ID at the tattoo shop. You will freak our for several days and send many frantic emails asking your tattoo artist if she has it, and she will have to go out of her way to give it to you! She’s a legend.

Now that a few weeks have passed, I am still in love with my tattoo. It turned out the exact way that I wanted it, and the whole process was a 10/10. I highly recommend Sacred Sisters to anyone who wants to get a tattoo in CStat!

Here’s a picture of my tattoo all healed up!

My tattoo!!
Photo by Allison McGregor
Allison McGregor is a member of the Texas A&M University chapter of Her Campus. Even though most of her pieces are about personal experiences, she also updates on current events around CSTAT. Beyond Her Campus, Allison is an engineering student at TAMU. She hopes to major in chemical engineering and, she is a newly-inducted member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChe). Allison also has experience working at Chick-Fil-A. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus, Allison is either listening to music (likely Taylor Swift or Fall Out Boy), writing poetry, or texting her family. Allison is a Navy brat who calls Chesapeake, Virginia home, and a lot of her unusual life experiences will find their way into her articles. She considers herself the second biggest fan of Coca-Cola, next to her mom. They're both kind of bummed that TAMU is a Pepsi campus.