From The Roots Up With Jennifer Pecina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

This week, Her Campus TAMU caught up with Jennifer Pecina. Pecina is a junior forensic science major, art Minor, and coordinator of marketing for the Student Conference on Latino Affairs (SCOLA).

Her Campus TAMU: What is the Student Conference on Latino Affairs?

Jennifer Pecina: SCOLA is a student led committee made up of 25 members who plan, organize, and execute a three-day conference aimed at promoting awareness of issues affecting minorities with a special focus on the Latino community. Our committee is a subcommittee of the Memorial Student Center Committee of the Awareness of Mexican-American Cultures. This is SCOLA’s 28th year of existence and we are so excited to welcome delegates from all over Texas back to the conference. A year’s worth of hard work will come to fruit this Friday as we kick off the conference.

HCTAMU: How did you all decide on “From the Roots Up” as the theme for the conference?

JP: We knew we wanted to focus on professional presentation as our theme. The next thought was how to incorporate this idea into something that affects Latino’s of all walks of life. Then the word “authenticity” came to mind and being proud of our roots. After a lot of brainstorming, we kept coming back to the word “roots” and eventually came up with the phrase “From the Roots Up: Authenticity and Professionalism.”

HCTAMU: Tell us more about the speakers at this year’s conference.

JP: This year we have a very “diverse” mix of keynote speakers:

Dr. Elsa Murano was the first Latina and woman president of Texas A&M University and she is such a unique individual. I am looking forward to her address.

We also have Lionel Sosa who was the campaign manager for Ronald Reagan. I’m interested to hear what she thinks about this year’s presidential candidates. 

Simon Silva, a well-known Latino artist, will also be giving a keynote address. His work is so vibrant and reminiscent of Mexican/Latino culture that I could get lost admiring it. (I’m sorry I’m kind of fan-girling as a Latina art minor myself).

Next, we have Graciela Tiscaerño-Sato who is one of the most unique individuals in this mix, as a decorated military veteran, teacher, and author of five-time award winning book Latinnovating.” She is supposed to give a presentation on the Professional Institute, which I think the delegates will enjoy a lot.

Our last keynote speaker is a recent graduate of Georgetown University and founder of his own non-profit organization Puede Network, Adan Gonzalez. Puede Network aims to provide mentors to under privileged children and guide them to apply for college. The organization’s motto is “Si se puede,” which interestingly enough is our motto of motivation during our staff meetings.

HCTAMU: How has being involved in SCOLA impacted you?

JP: Oh my, such a simple yet complicated question! I cannot begin to describe how much of an impact this organization has made on my life. When I first joined MSC CAMAC I had no idea what SCOLA was nor did I realize how much work it would take. But I don’t regret it one bit because it has given me the opportunity of a lifetime. I have had the opportunity to work with hardworking, passionate, and dedicated individuals, and these individuals have helped me spread my artistic wings. Last year, I was allowed to illustrate the conference image, and as an art minor, that was a huge deal to me! This opportunity allowed me to grow as an illustrator and as a team player. SCOLA also gave me my first art commission, and I will never stop thanking the committee for working with me and helping me produce the best possible creation for the conference. Besides the illustrator experience, I also gained a lot of business experience. I never thought I would be so involved in marketing. As a forensic science major, marketing is a drastic change from my academic path, but I feel like it’s a good path to follow. I have gained so much experience as the assistant coordinator and the coordinator of marketing over the past two years that I am proud to say that I have recently been hired for a marketing job here on campus. I will never stop thanking the wonderful committee and members for giving me this great opportunity, and I hope that I have given to the organization as much as it has given me.

HCTAMU: With the tense social climate in today’s world, why do you think it’s important that organizations like SCOLA exist?

JP: I think it is very important that SCOLA is available to minority students. It gives us a safe platform to discuss these issues and find solutions to the community prejudices we are faced with on a daily basis. I think what is so special about this year’s conference is how encompassing it is. Yes, our name has “Latino” in it, but our theme allowed us to open the conference to all people of color. Our primary discussion is how we can incorporate our roots and culture into a business or professional environment. We want to show delegates how our cultural diversity can be seen as something positive rather than something that is disadvantageous.

SCOLA takes place this Friday, March 4th, through Sunday, March 6th.  Events open to the public include:

Michael Reyes: Multiculturalism As A Culture Goal

March 4, 2016

Rudder Theatre

8:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.

FREE ADMISSION

Adan Gonzalez: Si Se Puede!

March 6, 2016 

Interdisciplinary Life Sciences Building Auditorium

12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.

FREE ADMISSION

Victoria is a senior at Texas A&M University studying Bioenvironmental Sciences. She is a Chapter Advisor for HC National as well as a Contributing Writer for HC TAMU. She is also a Projects Coordinator with AGEISS Inc. Following graduation in December 2016, she will begin work in the environmental sector.