Wellness

Recent Changes: 5 ideas if you’re feeling unproductive or bored

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Change- it’s a terrifying but sometimes wonderful thing. It’s definitely something I have needed for some time now, whether it be for my emotional or physical state. Here are 5 things I’m trying (that you can do as well) to switch it up a bit.

• Practicing yoga
    • This method of exercise has been an incredible way to really target and soothe my muscles, especially during periods of intense emotional and academic stress. Spending as little as 5 minutes a day stretching and practicing deep breathing is enough to help me feel reenergized for several hours. 
  • Writing down 3 goals for the next day
    • I’ve always been a chronic planner, but lately, this habit has definitely backfired. I realize how incredibly counterproductive it can be when I find myself stressed out from all of the things on my to-do list. Limiting and prioritizing my goals has been a lifesaver in terms of efficiently completing tasks.
  • Drinking a cup of water as soon as I wake up
    • While most people may not struggle with this, it’s been challenging to stay consistent with drinking water as soon as the day starts. As motivation, I’ve been pushing myself to think of the plethora of benefits of early morning hydration.
  • Reading (or, in my case, resuming) a book series
    • As a fantasy/action/adventure genre enthusiast, I’m dying to get my fingers back on the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass, something I started in high school. The idea of resuming reading these books has been lingering in the back of my mind for some time now. (I might need to cut back on some “Netflix time” to really get back into reading.)
  • Getting a new haircut/hairstyle
    • Honestly, just go crazy. I love a good 6 inches of hair chopped off my head, but I also appreciate some wispy curtain bangs and some color every now and then. Obviously, think carefully before making any drastic changes, but, if I can say so myself, my most recent cut looks and, more importantly, feels amazing.
Sarayu Malireddy is a writer for the Her Campus chapter of Texas A&M University. In addition to reviewing books, film, and other entertainment, she dedicates the majority of her pieces to detailing personal and academic experiences. She looks forward to using her writing to capture often-overlooked stories and to highlight marginalized voices within her campus network and local community. Outside of her experience with Her Campus, Sarayu serves as a leading officer of a community service organization and volunteers as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line. An avid wellness advocate, she recently joined Mental Health Collaborative, a nonprofit, to help with marketing and outreach in efforts to destigmatize and improve access to essential mental health care. She has also conducted research in various scientific disciplines, and after receiving a Bachelor of Science in Genetics from TAMU, Sarayu hopes to continue this passion and contribute to advancements in the field of medicine both in professional school and beyond. When she's not browsing for thrillers and 90s rom-coms on Netflix with her roommates, she's probably downing green tea or espresso shots or trying to make the perfect omelet. She adores blasting classical music during almost any solo car ride and is always ready for a quick game of table tennis... or normal tennis.