An Open Letter to Pedestrians and Bicyclists on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

We don’t know each other. We have just happened to cross paths on the corner of Olsen Boulevard and John Kimbrough Boulevard; me in my car and you on foot or on bike. We both have the same goal in mind: get to where we need to go. It may be class, it may be home, but wherever it may be, we just want to make it there.

I’ve noticed lately, however, that we may have a problem. We aren’t all considering the safety of those around us. I try to drive slowly–at least 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit so I can be quick to react. I make complete stops at every stop sign. I look both ways before I even begin to inch forward. But out of nowhere, there you are, right in front of my car.

I hit my brakes quickly and you just keep on moving forward, not even flinching in the slightest. Don’t you know how terrified you made me? I saw both of our lives flash before my eyes.

Just as I have a responsibility to drive safely on campus, you too have a responsibility to walk or run or bike safely on campus. Please look up from your phone before walking straight into the crosswalk. I know you have the right-of-way, but it would be nice if you could consider us too. Like I said, we all want to get to where we are going.

And if you’re on a bike, did you know you are supposed to obey the laws of the road as if you were a car? That means you need to stop at every stop sign, just like I do. You need to look both ways before just darting into the road.

I know some people like to joke that getting hit while on campus could get their tuition paid, but I know they wouldn’t wish it on anyone. This isn’t a game–this is our life.

With the increase in enrollment at our school, there are bound to be more people on the roads. We have to work together to make sure everyone is safe.

So next time you’re walking or biking on campus, do me a favor–pay attention. Your life, my life, and all of the lives around us depend upon it. I promise you, you’ll still make it to class, or home, or wherever if you stop to look both ways.

Sincerely,

Cautious Driver

Victoria is a senior at Texas A&M University studying Bioenvironmental Sciences. She is a Chapter Advisor for HC National as well as a Contributing Writer for HC TAMU. She is also a Projects Coordinator with AGEISS Inc. Following graduation in December 2016, she will begin work in the environmental sector.