Culture > News

Northgate District Celebrating the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

COLLEGE STATION, December 9, 2022 – If you’re looking for a way to get into the holiday spirit this weekend, join the community at Northgate to support local vendors, performers, and holiday-themed drinks.

Northgate is College Station’s entertainment district, popular among college students and adults in the city. The land was purchased by Texas A&M in 1912 and set aside to allow for future business to locate. The Northgate district has been in full operation since 1974 when Brazos County lifted its dry county ban (Battalion). Now, Northgate is known for its incredible energetic nightlife and is home to over 30 businesses, including bars, restaurants, and shops. 

“Northgate is a fun place,” said Texas A&M student Halle Fouch. “I have made so many memories there with so many friends. It’s been a part of Aggie culture since my mom was a student, and I’m sure many generations before her. It’s really cool to be able to go there and experience some of the same things they did back then,” Fouch explained. “I’m excited to hear about their holiday event, and I can’t wait to go check it out!”

Northgate will be hosting “Howdy Holly-Days” this Saturday evening from 4-8 pm. The afternoon will surely be filled with lots of holiday fun, as part of their “family-friendly, sip-and-shop event.” Highlights of the event include “snow, shopping from local vendors, carolers, live entertainment, and holiday-themed drinks!” 

The event is open to the public and admission is free! Parking will also be available, free of charge, in the Northgate Parking Garage and the surface lot in front of the Dixie Chicken. 

Location: Northgate District, 401 University Drive, College Station, TX, 77845

More information about the event  is available here: https://visit.cstx.gov/event/howdy-holly-days-at-northgate/22121/

You can read more about the history of Northgate in College Station in this article published by the Battalion (Jun. 2016): https://www.thebatt.com/life-arts/a-look-at-northgate-then-and-now/article_3c3e1e72-3758-11e6-afaf-07c61716a747.html

Logan is an undergraduate at Texas A&M University with a major in agribusiness, two minors in different fields of economics, and an emphasis in marketing. She loves art and her goal as part of Her Campus is to incorporate her creativity into everything she creates. Logan is passionate about empowering women through her work and leadership. "Work hard, and add some spice to your everyday life!"