This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It took me until about 6 months ago to realize that I might have curly hair. My entire family has beautiful curls, but I was convinced I didn’t get that trait. After many years of frying my hair and not knowing how to take care of it, I decided to do some research and give my hair some much needed care. Here are the products that helped me turn my sad lifeless 2a waves into bouncy 2c waves, and the order I use them.

Shampoo & Conditioner

I haven’t been sold on any shampoo and conditioner yet. I mention NYM a lot in the rest of this article, so they’re the brand I will most likely be trying next. I’ll keep HC updated if I find a shampoo and conditioner that I really like!

Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow Leave-In Conditioner

NYM has easily turned into my favorite hair care brand. Almost all of their products are vegan (with the exception of this product since it contains keratin – but I’m looking to switch back to the NYM Curl Talk Leave-In Conditioner once I run out of this bottle), cruelty free, and affordable. Aside from reviving my curls, I am trying to grow my hair out. In December 2019 I chopped my hair to my chin, but I decided that I want long hair when I graduate in May of 2021. Can I do it? I’m not sure, but I’m hoping this product helps!

I do my entire hair product application routine with my head upside down. I feel like it’s the best way for me to reach all of my hair. 

After showering, I spray this product onto my damp hair and scrunch. I don’t rake/comb it through in order to keep from ruining my wave/curl pattern. I let my hair fall how it wants to.

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

After my leave-in conditioner, I will put a small amount of this product into the palm of my hand and then scrunch it into my hair. I like this product and think it does a great job, but I don’t love the smell. It only lasts for a little while though, so it’s not the biggest deal.

Not Your Mother’s Curl Talk Defining Cream

NYM’s Curl Talk line is my favorite! I’ve been using their products for about 4 or so months and really think it’s made a big difference in my hair. This curl defining cream is super affordable, lasts a long time, since a little goes a long way, and smells great. I apply this the same way I apply the style milk mentioned above.

Not Your Mother’s Curl Talk Frizz Control Sculpting Gel

When I’m not super lazy and want to take my curls to the next level, I’ll follow my style creams with this curl gel. I would use this every time I do my hair, but I don’t like spending too much time on my hair, so I really only use this if I have a random burst of energy or if I’m going somewhere that requires me to look presentable. The curl creams themselves do a great job at defining my curls, but the gel is an amazing add-on!

That’s all I really do to my hair. Things I don’t do: put heat in my hair. I’ve used heat on my hair once since April and it wasn’t really worth it. I’ve grown to love my natural hair and don’t feel the need to spend an hour straightening it anymore. I hope this article helps you bring some texture back into your hair! All of these products have helped me become more comfortable with my hair. :)

Howdy! My name is Nadia Lynn Garcia. I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Texas A&M University! I love music, concerts, travel, and graphic design, but my articles can tell you a little more about that. ;)