This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Every week, I walk into my International Studies class and sit down. I look around the room and I see my peers all focused busily on their computers doing some type of work. When the professor starts talking, the class starts on discussion facilitation. Some of my peers raise their hands and begin the discussion… while I sit there wondering what I am doing in this class with individuals who seem to know what they are doing and talking about. I want to get up and leave, but I just sit there until the end of class.

This has been happening for a while now. Thoughts of what I am even doing appear in my mind, am I as passionate about my major as these students? Should I remove myself and let others who want to be in this program take the spot? As I am now in my senior year, it’s too late for me to switch majors. But I’ve enjoyed it so far so that’s not the problem. Then I thought about it. It’s the thought of imposter syndrome.

It appears to me that all my peers and friends, who are also about to graduate, seem to have figured out what they are going to do. I just sit there listening, wanting to take up the least amount of space in the room because of these self-doubt feelings.

Imposter syndrome brings everyone down. I know others struggle with this as well. When talking to my friend, she could relate and felt the same way. I thought to myself, does everyone feel like this at some point in their life? That made me feel a bit more at ease.

If anyone else is struggling with the same feelings, it’s okay. You have to remember how far you’ve come and that you’re doing your best. Make a list writing down all the great things you have accomplished. Sometimes we don’t want to appreciate what we have done because we feel as if we’re gloating, but it’s important to feel proud of ourselves and remember that we are capable.

Linsy is an International Studies major at Texas A&M with a minor in Journalism and Spanish. In her free time, she enjoys writing, listening to music, and traveling.