Style > Fashion

Halloween Party Tonight And No Idea What To Wear? I Got You.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and for us college kids, that means costumes on costumes on costumes. If you’re like me, you want to wear different costumes at each event but never plan early enough to get those Amazon packages in on time. Here are some last minute costumes that you can put together from your closet while still being unique and recognizable. 

Easy, cute costumes that you can wear for family get togethers, church fall festivals, or other family-friendly Halloween events:

1. Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter is a classic Halloween costume that you can’t go wrong with and probably the easiest to put together from your closet. Wear some jeans (or overalls if you have them), a blue button down, red bandana, and combat boots. Match this with red lipstick, a flexed arm/fist, and some patriotism, and you’re good to go. 

1. Operation

This costume is more DIY but sounds so fun, and I’ve never seen anyone do this. Wear neutral color sweatpants and a sweatshirt; it could be tan, grey, black, whatever your heart desires. Print out the game pieces here and then glue this onto red construction paper. Cut out as the shape of the object and then tape this to the clothing. You can also get fancy with it and buy felt/fabric glue and cut out the shapes of the object, using the print out as a stencil. Use red lipstick or eyeshadow and give yourself a red nose. Get crafty with it!

1. Mary Poppins

For a simple, but definitely recognizable costume, go as Mary Poppins! Pair a white button down with a black skirt, tights, and booties. You want to add some red to the costume, preferably a bow tie and belt, with red lipstick. For the accessories, grab a large purse, a black hat (fedora if you have it), and of course, the umbrella. 

Recognizable TV/Movie characters that I don’t see very often:

1. Violet from Willy Wonka

This works best if you’re a blonde with short hair, but Violet from Willy Wonka is such a cute costume that mostly relies on makeup to be recognizable. Wear a blue top and pants, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a jumpsuit. Put blue eyeshadow all over your nose and grab some bubblegum, and you’re good to go. 

1. Olive from Easy A

For my gingers out there, Olive from Easy A. 100%. It’s hot, it’s classic, it’s easy. For the ideal outfit, wear a black corset with leather pants. Don’t own them? It’s okay, any black strapless top and black pants will work for this costume. The main star of the show, the infamous red “A” based off of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “The Scarlet Letter”. Add black sunglasses and a pearl necklace to complete the look. 

1. Alice from Don’t Worry Darling

This movie may have just come out, and especially with all of the “Miss Flo”, Olivia Wilde, and Harry Styles drama, it is hot on everyone’s radar. Nevertheless, I think this costume would be a standout (and so easy to recreate!). I’m talking about the classic white dress look. The parts of this costume are simple: white dress (preferably tea length), black bow with hair in a half-up, half-down, black heels, and some pearl earrings. To be recognizable, you’ll want to add fake blood to the torso/side area and put on the famous Florence Pugh frown. 

For the scary fright-fest you’re attending this Halloween:

1. Chucky

I never see this, and it looks so fun to do! Pair some overalls with a striped long sleeve and converse. For the frightening factor, add a fake bloody knife and some scars. This may require a quick trip to your local Party City or Spirit Halloween, but these are sure to be in stock for any last-minute needs. 

1. Mummy

Another costume that it really easy to do: being fresh out of the tomb. Wear an all white outfit and wrap yourself in toilet paper! Use some dark eyeshadow to give the fit a “dirty” look and add some bags underneath your eyes. Make it cuter by braiding your hair and adding in some of your “wrap” to the braid! 

1. Ouija Board

This costume mostly relies on makeup, so virtually everyone can do it as long as you have black eyeshadow and eyeliner. The majority of the makeup is going on your collarbones/chest to recreate the board, so you’ll want to wear a strapless top or a low-cut tank top. Apply the makeup, probably using the eyeliner, to draw out the letters, numbers, and yes and no drawings onto your chest and collarbone area. If you look up an Ouija Board, you can see where the placement goes. Wear an all black outfit for the darker vibe, and you have your creepy board game inspired costume. 

Here is a Pinterest board to see how these looks were recreated. Enjoy your Halloween and get spooky, but most importantly, stay safe!

Susana is a senior Kinesiology major at Texas A&M University. She loves to travel and recently studied abroad in Croatia and Belgium with Mays Business School. Her favorite hobbies include volunteering at her local library, reading fantasy novels, and analyzing Taylor Swift's latest easter egg.