Career

Girl Boss Alert: Meet Hannah Richardson Singer/Songwriter of the Album “Maniac”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Covid-19 has brought about new challenges for many, but this hasn’t stopped this week’s girl boss from pursuing her own passions. Meet Hannah Richardson, the face behind the new album “Maniac,” released on Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music (to name a few) on October 23rd. Not only is Hannah a student at The University of Colorado Boulder, but she has also pushed to turn her musical dreams into a reality this Fall. Really showing what it means to be a true girl boss. Before the release of her album this month, I was given the opportunity to chat with Hannah a bit about her album, what inspires her, and even some things we can expect from her in the future.

What inspired you to start making music?

A: “I wrote my first ‘official’ song at twelve years old on GarageBand. It was called “Complicated” and was about my angsty agony of liking this guy from summer camp who my best friend also happened to like. Since I was little, I always kept a diary. Writing songs became a better, extended version of that since music could communicate so much more of what I wanted to say.”

Can you give any details about this new album of yours?

A: “Yeah sure! So, the album is called “Maniac” after Track 1 on the album. I called it “Maniac” because the word construes this kind of wild, exotic connotation for me. I thought it was a fitting title for an album with so much drama. All of the songs feature lots of pianos, strings, and synths. I tried to make something that merged Frank Sinatra with the modernity of today’s soul music.”

How would you describe your music style?

A: “I’ve recently been coining it as a kind of Amy Winehouse meets Lana Del Rey. A soulful retro sound mixed with dream-pop.”

What was your inspiration behind this album?

A: “There were so many inspirations! The project, itself, came out of those insane couple of months in the spring when quarantine was at its most intense. I just felt so numb all the time. Like all my feelings had up and vanished. Starting to work on music again unlocked this flood of emotions. The songs themselves came from a variety of people and places that impacted me. Lots of the love songs were obviously about boys. On the flip side, “Maniac” and “Anmarie” were written about people I wasn’t very fond of. Musically, artists like Amy Winehouse, Lana Del Rey, and Adele were huge influences.”

What do you enjoy the most about being an artist?

A: “I’ve never been the most articulate person in the world in terms of speech. I always stumble and stutter over my words and feel like I never say what I mean to say. My music is the one place where I can write and rewrite until I get it exactly right. The best part of being an artist is that process of getting my feelings out there, but even better is when someone else feels the same way that I do and says a song made them feel something or got them through a tough time. That’s the most rewarding part.”

Can you explain the process behind making your first album?

A: “Yes! So, Chasing Rainbows was a nine-track album. Four of the nine songs were written by myself, others were written by writers I greatly respect based in country/folk music. The primary reason that the album went in a country direction was because the writers I knew at that time were all based in that world. I knew country writers, so I was writing country music. The album was produced in Nashville, TN with my favorite producer in the world Jason Garner. Making Maniac was a little different because I wrote all of the songs (excluding “Already Mine” which was written by Michael McGee and Michael Kachani) and got to co-produce. I would write, produce, record, and mix the song in my bedroom closet and then send the track to Jason via email so he could further produce and better all of my amateur mixing. So, this whole project felt much more like me and is why I’m so proud of it.”

What are your ambitions as an artist and is there anything we can expect from you in the future?

A: “My big dream would be for me to become an artist who could actually put on live shows and make a living from albums and concerts. That said, that world is definitely a hard one to make a success in, so I’d settle for getting my songs in film and TV placements. My dream is for a song like “Maniac” to be in the opening credits of a James Bond movie or something!”

After being given the chance by Hannah to listen to her album before the release date, let me tell you, this is one that you’re not going to want to miss out on. Her music encapsulates a wide range of styles, appealing to a variety of different music tastes. After listening to this eight-track album, I found myself daydreaming of the stories she told through her lyrics and powerful vocal range. Hannah’s music style is truly unique compared to the type of music being released today, allowing her to capture the attention of her listeners through her individuality that is displayed in her work. In order to get the full sense of her stunning and distinctive voice, you’ll just have to go check it out yourself. Stream “Maniac” starting on October 23rd, you won’t be disappointed!

Howdy! My name is Coleen and I'm a Senior Communication student at Texas A&M University. I'm obsessed with traveling to new places, 80's music, baseball, and photography/art.