This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Are you burnt out?

Too often this semester, I have heard the same realization from my peers: this semester is kicking our butts. We’re tired. We’re drained. We’re lacking motivation.

Even though we’re feeling all sorts of negative ways about this semester, here we are still going to class, still keeping up with our work, still finding time for our social lives, and still pushing towards winter break.

While I think it’s great that my friends and I have the stamina and willpower to continue keeping up with our lives, I think it also puts us dangerously close (if not already there) to facing burnout.

Burnout is defined by Psychology Today as “a state of emotional, mental, and often physical exhaustion brought on by prolonged or repeated stress.” Could they have put it any better?

The problem with facing burnout in college is the stigma surrounding it. Outsiders see us as ungrateful college students who just want to party 24/7. Reality check: that’s anything but the case.

Personally, I think burnout is so frowned upon because no other age group has actually stopped to address it before. Instead, they waited until they have a mid-life crisis way down the line. I believe that our generation is finally putting our foot down and starting to take mental health seriously. And I think speaking about burnout among college students is a big step.

Okay, so now you’re sitting here worrying that you too might be going through a period of burnout. Don’t fret; you’re not the only one feeling this way, and it doesn’t mean the end of the world (even though it feels that way). What should you do next?

What to do when you find yourself in a period of burnout:

1. Try to find the cause

Is it school? Is it your personal responsibilities? Is it your job? Is it a combination of all three? By figuring out what is causing you to feel burnt out, you can start putting more thought into why it’s causing you to feel that way.

2. Identify changes you need to make

Sometimes, you have to make a lot of changes to overcome being constantly tired, unmotivated, and unhappy. While quitting is always an option, it definitely shouldn’t be a decision you make on a whim. Instead, take a break. Evaluate your situation by talking to loved ones, talking to yourself (yes, do this), journaling, and by making yourself a priority.

3. Put your plan in action

Now that you have taken a step back and realized what you need to do to tackle your burnout, put your plan into action. Whether you need to reorganize your schedule, start eating differently, drop the class you can’t stop stressing over, or even take a semester off, do what is best for you. Your mental health comes first, and things will work out.

4. Make yourself a priority

Despite the drastic (or not so drastic) changes you decide to make, making yourself a priority is a must (it’s essential). You can do this by setting boundaries, practicing gratification, talking to a therapist, setting aside “me-time,” or by starting to exercise; the possibilities are endless. What matters is that you value yourself and your health so you can positively affect your outlook on your responsibilities.

TAKE IT 1 step at at time.

We need to make burnout a more common topic of discussion. At some point, it infiltrates everyone’s lives in some way or another. And ignoring it will only increase the stigma behind it.

Don’t forget that it’s okay to feel stuck. It’s okay to feel unmotivated. It’s okay to feel tired. The important thing to remember is that you don’t have to feel that way forever.

Howdy! My name is Sydnie Harrell, and I served as President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at TAMU for the 2022-2023 school year. Feel free to get in touch with me on social media.