This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Let’s talk about breakfast. It is known as the “most important meal of the day,” yet a lot of us are notorious for skipping it. Maybe you skip breakfast because you don’t have time, you’re bored with the eggs and toast you’ve been making for the past year, or simply you don’t know what else to make. I’ve been trying some different recipes that are sure to make you excited for your first meal of the day. Here they are. 

Savory Oatmeal Bowl 

Okay, hear me out on this one. Oatmeal is one of the most staple breakfast foods you can think of. It’s filling, versatile, and relatively inexpensive! Before, I would always eat my oatmeal sweet: honey, cinnamon, raisins, or some other fruit, and nut butter. But recently, I came across some recipes for savory oatmeal, which sounded very strange to me, but I gave it a go one morning. I tried it… and I am obsessed with this delicious 5-minute breakfast. I decided to go with smoked salmon, but instead of using a bagel as the base, I used oatmeal. After cooking the oatmeal in water, I topped it with a fried egg (simply divine), avocado, smoked salmon, red onion, and everything bagel seasoning. After the first bite, I was hooked! The oats were creamy, and the flavor of the salmon and seasoning paired so well with all my toppings. 10/10 recommend if you’d like to give your oatmeal a delicious twist.

Avocado Toast 

I’m going to warn you, this also has smoked salmon involved because it’s been an absolute want in my breakfasts recently. I may or may not have stocked up and kept three packs in my freezer. But this recipe is timeless, and we all love avocado toast that doesn’t cost $13! Toast your bread and add some olive oil after taking it out. Top with avocado, everything bagel seasoning, and any other toppings your heart desires. Maybe it’s a sunny side up egg with the perfect yolk? Smoked Salmon? Cheese? Ham? Turkey? Avocado toast is super quick and satisfying for breakfast, plus it’s super customizable. I like to pair one side of toast with smoked salmon and the other with an egg. Do you see a common trend in my love for eggs and salmon yet? 

Smoothie Bowl 

This one is for those that really want something sweet in the morning that isn’t super heavy. Smoothie bowls are not only beautiful to look at, but they’re so yummy and make your body so happy! I make mine with a frozen banana, other frozen fruit (right now it’s peaches and strawberries), coconut milk (you can choose any milk you like), and hemp seeds, which are FULL of omegas and provide 10 grams of protein per serving. I also add protein powder, but it’s not a huge deal if you don’t have that on hand. Oats, avocado, honey, nut butter, or other greens are also an option depending on what you like! Mix it up, and you’re ready to pour it into your pretty bowl. Next are the toppings! I top mine with blueberries, granola, and coconut chips. Some other popular choices are honey, chia seeds, other fruits like banana and strawberries, and cinnamon. These are all up to what you have and what you like!

With these breakfast ideas, I honestly love waking up in the morning now! It’s always so exciting to get in the kitchen and see what I can make. You can pair any of these recipes with your cup of coffee, matcha, water, juice, whatever fits your fancy. Hopefully, these recipes can help you step outside the cereal box and find your inner chef!  

I'm an English major who loves to read, explore the outdoors, cuddle with my dog and cook!