Life > Experiences

Best Spots for Galentine’s Day Brunch in College Station

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As Valentine’s Day fast approaches, it is time to start making plans. Valentine’s Day is typically a holiday to celebrate couples in love, however, for the single people out there, it could be deemed detestable. However, the term Galentine’s Day has opened up the opportunity to spend the sometimes-dreaded holiday with your closest friends. I have always found a nice breakfast/brunch to be the best way to celebrate.

Living in the College Station area for about three years has allowed me to test out some of the well-known spots in the area. If you are looking for a recommendation for either Galentine’s Day or just a suggestion for a good breakfast, then look no further. Here are my ratings and thoughts on some breakfast places in the Bryan/College Station area.

Sweet Paris Crêperie & Café 4/5

• Sweet Paris Crêperie & Café, located in Century Square, certainly lives up to its name with all of the fun and unique crepe ideas. The décor is of course Paris themed, with little Eiffel towers on every table. Although this restaurant is known for its crepes, do not let that fool you. Crepes may be their specialty, but they have a large menu that accommodates for all tastes. Even if you are not craving anything sweet, they have some amazing savory crepes available including a Croque Madame flavor and many more. My personal favorite is the chicken carbonara, not necessarily a breakfast crepe, but is good at all times of the day. They of course have traditional breakfast options as well ranging from Croque Madame to basic eggs, bacon, and ham. Being a coffee addict, I always find it important that any breakfast place has a good, iced latte option. Sweet Paris did have the basic cappuccino’s, americano’s, and lattes. I always order an iced vanilla latte and it was good but doesn’t stand out compared to other places.

Snooze, an A.M. Eatery 5/5

• “Snooze, an A.M. Eatery” is my personal favorite place to go. Their menu is very broad with something to accommodate for everyone’s tastes. I always find their “Snooze Classic” to be a really good traditional breakfast.  A unique feature of Snooze lies within the pancakes. There is always a twist on the traditional pancakes, including a “Blue Berry Danish” flavor, as well as a pancake of the day which is changed regularly. If you are indecisive with all the delicious pancake flavors, the “Pancake Flight” allows you to get three different pancakes. The iced vanilla latte is by far my favorite of any other place I have tried. They have a large variety of other fun coffee options with their full barista counter. Something to be cautious of, however, is that it is a bit on the pricier side, but each plate comes with a lot of food to make up for it.  The staff is also consistently nice and attentive.

Another Broken Egg Café 4/5

• “Another Broken Egg Café” is a great place to go to if you are looking for a more southern style breakfast. This southern style is reflected throughout the menu with grits and biscuits included in a lot of their meal options. There is also a variety of pancake and French toast options for anyone that is a sweet tooth. I’d say the standout at this restaurant is more than the food, it’s their take on a traditional cold brew. If you are looking to spice up your Galentine’s day brunch and don’t like reaching for the traditional mimosa, they have a variety of spiked cold brews for you to choose from.

MESS Waffles, Etc. 4.5/5

• “Mess Waffles, etc.” is a favorite in the century square area, and their quality is reflected in the large crowds that flock there in the mornings. Of course, their waffles are amazing, as their name suggests, however, their unique take on a traditional hash brown is my favorite. The reason this is not a 5/5 is because you do pay and order at a cash register and the line can get pretty long. It is also a smaller restaurant, so I always feel a little bit rushed and find it harder to sit and enjoy my conversations with my friends. They also do not have a lot of coffee options, but it is located very closed to Harvest Coffee Bar, also in Century Square.

3rd On Main 3.5/5

• If you want to spend some time in downtown Bryan, you can start your day at “3rd On Main.”  It is a bit of a drive away if you are living close to the Texas A&M University campus. However, if you plan on spending some extra time walking around downtown Bryan, I would say it is worth a drive. This restaurant’s stand out dish is definitely their breakfast fries. They do also have more traditional breakfasts, such as chicken and waffles, and a basic breakfast as well. I will note that their food options are on the heavier side and the portions are large. They also have very minimal coffee options. Overall, I would say the draw of this restaurant is that it is in the charming downtown area and next to a very cute vintage bookstore.  
Meredith Andalis is a member of the Texas A&M University chapter of Her Campus. In addition to being part of the social media committee, she enjoys writing about her personal experiences, discussing local restaurants, and covering events on campus. As a member of the social media committee she submits posts once a week for the chapter’s social media pages. Outside of her role at Her Campus, Meredith has had a variety of on campus jobs. She is continuing her over two years of work as a residence hall tour guide and spent the last year helping revise a textbook for one of the English courses at TAMU. Recently she started a new position as a consultant at the University Writing Center. She is also in her final year at TAMU finishing her degree in English with a minor in Communication. For fun Meredith enjoys reading, watching movies, and spending her paychecks on coffee. Her favorite movies include “When Harry Met Sally” and anything from the Captain America trilogy. She is also committed to finding cute coffee shops and bookstores wherever she travels to. She also enjoys writing which is why she loves being a part of Her Campus TAMU!