A Beginner’s Guide to Becoming a Vegetarian (OR Choosing to Eat Less Meat)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Looking to possibly become a Vegetarian or even wanting to lessen your meat intake? I have 10 simple tips I’ve learned throughout my own process listed below. Think of this here as your personal Beginner’s Guide to becoming a Vegetarian.

(NOTE: I am in NO way a professional nutritionist, just sharing a couple of things that seemed to work for me)

1. RESEARCH! – First, it’s important to do your research on whether or not a vegetarian diet best fits your lifestyle. Vegetarianism is not necessarily for everyone, so definitely search the web and learn about what you’re potentially getting yourself into.

2. BE INTENTIONAL – If you do choose to become a Vegetarian it’s always a much easier process if you have genuine reasons as to why you chose to do it. It also helps you to stay committed!

3. SUBSTITUTIONS – Slowly try to substitute unhealthy food options with healthier options. For instance, maybe instead of choosing to order that fire In-N-Out burger, maybe go for a quinoa burger instead (it tastes WAY better than it sounds!)

4. TRY NEW FOODS! – Trust me, I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on this planet BUT I learned that in order to stick with this lifestyle, you must be willing to try new recipes. After all, you may end up liking it way more than you thought.

5. GO AT YOUR OWN PACE – Don’t rush the process, just take it day by day. Allow yourself to do things at a pace you feel comfortable with.

6. MEAL PREP! – This is what I found to be most effective when transitioning to vegetarianism. Between school, work, and a social life it’s helpful to save time in the kitchen and have access to those healthy meals you’ve prepped for the week. Keep in mind, there is no “right” or “wrong” way to do this, simply do what works for you!

7. TAKE YOUR VITAMINS – 10/10 recommend taking vitamins everyday, it helps lessen your chances of getting sick while also supplying your body with minerals and nutrients you may have not been receiving otherwise.

8. PATIENCE – Patience is key when transitioning into vegetarianism or just choosing to eat less meat. Your body needs time to properly adjust to this new diet so cut yourself some slack!

9. BALANCE YOUR MEALS – Be careful not to overdo it on the carbs, it’s easy to get carried away with foods such as pasta and pizza but make sure to maintain a well balanced diet including vegetables, fruits, beans, and seeds/nuts.

10. DON’T GIVE UP! – You may experience trials and tribulations but nothing comes easy at first (trust me I’m still learning as well). Just think of it as a process and hang in there!

Ryane is a Senior Communications major and Journalism minor at Texas A&M University. Her hobbies include health/fitness, working on her business (@tonesxthree), and writing articles for Her Campus! 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.