This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As we’re heading into the fall and winter months, the flu and COVID-19 are rapidly spreading through campus. The best thing to do to prevent catching the flu is to get your flu shot as soon as possible. At TAMU, Student Health Services offers free flu vaccines for students. If you find yourself feeling under the weather, make sure to stay home and try some at-home remedies to soothe your symptoms and get you back on your feet in no time!

Gargling salt water can help ease a sore throat by reducing inflammation and drawing out fluids from your throat. Add about a tablespoon of salt to one cup of warm water. Repeating this process one to two times a day will get rid of your sore throat as soon as possible. 

Another remedy for a sore throat is eating a spoonful of honey daily. Honey contains antibacterial properties that help reduce inflammation in the throat while also relieving pain. 

If you have a persistent dry cough and sore throat, clove can act as a good cough suppressant. Keeping a clove in your mouth releases its oils and reduces inflammation in your throat. You can also try chewing the clove for a stronger effect. 

Lastly, an easy way to keep your airways clear is adding a couple drops of eucalyptus oil to hot water and breathing in the steam. For a more intense effect, place a towel over your head and the hot water to ensure the most steam makes it through your airways. 

In addition to trying these remedies, make sure to get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, and take vitamins to keep your immune system strong.

Vinathi Golkonda is the Secretary at the Her Campus TAMU chapter. She manages member information and keeps chapter members informed about upcoming events and reminders. Her writing mainly covers her experiences in college and events happening around campus. Outside of Her Campus, Vinathi serves as the Executive Director of Operations for the Texas A&M Student Senate where she manages records and curates content for its social media platforms. Vinathi is currently a sophomore at Texas A&M University majoring in Electrical Engineering and minoring in Mathematics and Computer Science. Aside from writing, her hobbies include playing piano, listening to music, doing henna, and hiking. She has visited over 20 National Parks and Monuments over the past 11 years and loves nature. Vinathi thoroughly enjoys watching reality television shows, especially Love is Blind and Indian Matchmaking on Netflix.