Wellness

A GUIDE TO BEING AN EARLY BIRD FROM A FORMER NIGHT OWL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It’s a new year, a new semester, and a season of new resolutions. For the past semester, and especially over winter break, I noticed my sleep schedule becoming more erratic. With late nights working at a theater and waking up with half of the day already gone, I noticed my productivity decreasing due to my irregular sleep. As my new goal for this semester (I guess you can call it a “New Year’s resolution”… but let’s not jinx this new goal with the notorious slipperiness that comes with its name), I planned on starting my days earlier and going to bed before midnight, all while making sure I maintain a healthy 8 hours of sleep.

I know this goal may sound out of reach for some people — especially those night owls out there — but after a month of being a new early bird, it was more attainable than I expected. I love how my days are much longer now, allowing me to be more productive and feel less rushed in the mornings. My body also feels more energized and healthier as I allow myself to enjoy my mornings at my own pace.

Here are some steps that helped me establish my new routine (and maybe you can follow them yourself to find your own inner early bird):

TAKE IT SLOW 

When it comes to waking up early, nobody wants to jump from waking up at 10am every morning to 5am. When I started my transition to early mornings, I worked gradually with my alarms. Every day I set my alarm 15-30 minutes earlier than the previous morning, allowing my body to adjust to the new routine. Just like all new goals, it is hard to stick with the change by simply shocking your body with the new routine. By taking it slow with your earlier sleep schedule, you can find your body growing tired earlier in the night and naturally rising earlier in the morning.

WIND DOWN WITH A GOOD NIGHTTIME ROUTINE

Having a good nighttime routine is helpful when winding down for bed. Personally, my favorite routine that tells my body it’s time to rest is a hot shower at night and my ritual skincare routine. However, you can choose the best routine that works for you, whether it’s reading 15 minutes before bed or taking some time to journal. By allowing yourself to wind down and rest your mind and body before bed, it can be easier to fall asleep.

ELIMINATE THE SCREEN

We all know the notorious effects blue light can have on our ability to sleep, yet so many people continue to end their nights in bed with their eyes glued to a screen. I personally had a bad habit of this myself, from scrolling through Instagram reels to watching YouTube for hours before I slept. While it can be tempting to scroll through your feed while relaxing in bed, the blue light eliminated from your screens can cause your body to take a much longer time to fall asleep. Not only that, but when I find myself scrolling through my phone at night and in the morning, I notice time go much faster than expected. This causes me to lose sleep time for the night and rush getting ready in the morning. Instead of spending those moments on a screen, replace that time with calming and refreshing activities that allow your body and mind to follow a healthy sleep cycle.

ESTABLISH A MOTIVATING MORNING ROUTINE

It can be hard to roll out of bed early in the morning without any motivation. By establishing a rejuvenating morning routine, you can find that motivation to wake up and take on the day. For me, I like to start my morning off with drinking a cup of cold water to refresh my body, and take on my morning skincare routine. Some days, I also like to go to the gym for a quick workout and I always make sure I eat a good hearty breakfast to restore my energy. Whatever you decide to do in the morning, pick something that you love that allows you to spend quality time with yourself. Whether it’s taking a brisk walk in the crisp morning air or jamming to your favorite music while you get ready, allow this time in the morning for your body to wake up and get energized for the day.

STAY CONSISTENT! 

Building new habits can only come from consistency. It will be hard in the beginning to get used to the change, and some days you may find yourself slipping and hitting that snooze button. But don’t give up! It’s OK to have moments of weakness, but stay motivated and consistent as much as you can. As you allow yourself to wake up early every morning (and yes, even on the weekends), you are forming a new habit that your body will soon naturally recognize and respond to.

Kaylie Sauceda is a member of the Texas A&M University chapter of Her Campus. She is a blossoming writer who is eager to grow in her skills and explore her passion in writing. As a lover of psychology, she enjoys diving into the human experience through her writing with an incorporation of her own experiences. She additionally is a lover for fashion, books, media, and all things pop culture. Kaylie is a second year undergraduate student at TAMU majoring in psychology with a focus in healthy development and psychology of diversity, as well as minoring in Neuroscience. She hopes to pursue her PhD in Clinical or Counseling Psychology. Kaylie greatly values family and relationships, and aspires to be a marriage and family therapist to help others grow and nurture their own healthy relationships in their lives. Aside from Her Campus, Kaylie is also an active member of PhilSA and is the captain for PhilSA’s women and coed flag football team. She is also a continuing band kid who plays the clarinet for TAMU’s Symphonic Winds. In her free time, she is an avid movie watcher and book reader who is a sucker for rom-coms, romance books, and a dramatic plot that can make her ugly cry.