Tools to Enhance Your Yoga or Meditation Practice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I have loved yoga for as long as I can remember and over the past years I have come to incorporate meditation into my daily practices as well. I find that these two things combined really ground me and help me feel refreshed no matter what kind of day I’ve had. I think there are a plethora of misconceptions about both yoga and meditation that you shouldn’t let discourage you if it has been something you want to try! You do not have to be flexible to do yoga, you do not have to have extreme focus to do meditation, and you do not have to do either of these activities for a long time to see really wonderful impacts within your life. Beyond simply convincing yourself to try these things, there are a bunch of really great products/tools you can use to make both yoga and meditation very enjoyable. Below I have created a list of some of the staples I have found have helped me. 

1.     A really good yoga mat

A fantastic yoga mat helps guide the rest of the process. A good yoga mat does not have to be expensive or fancy, just comfortable and inviting to make you want to do it. My two favorites are a very heavy dense one from Lululemon, which is their classic mat ($58) and a super squishy thick one I found at Marshall’s ($15). 

2.     Yoga Blocks

Yoga blocks are foam blocks that can help make a yoga pose more accessible or more comfortable to stay in. I have used these just to sit on, help reach further stretched poses, and to try headstands. You can find them really anywhere and a set of 2 will cost you around $10-$15. 

3.     Yoga Bolster 

A bolster is not an essential but if you are interested in alternating between flows and relaxing kinds of yoga, these are a great addition. A bolster is basically a big cylinder-shaped pillow that can help relax and destress you in poses. I love to use it for back or knee support to lay in poses longer and unwind. You can find these from a lot of outlets ranging from $30-$70. A great alternative to not break the bank is simply finding a dense pillow you have laying around the house! 

4.     Crystals and Essential Oils

I use these additions not to help my actual practice of yoga or meditation, but to help put me in the mindset of calmness and wanting to practice. I find that when I place a few beautiful crystals around the mat and turn on my essential oil diffuser with lavender or another calming blend, it puts me in the mood and I am more excited to participate. Neither of these items have to cost a lot of money. One can find a good lavender oil from Now Foods ($12) or on Amazon ($8). Make sure you are getting one that is pure essential oil. An oil diffuser is a great way to let the scent travel through a room and can cost as low as $10-$15 on Amazon. As far as crystals, there are so many places to find amazing ones that can enhance a room. Energymuse is a cool company to check out. 

5.     Meditation Apps

I have touched on meditation apps before in previous articles but cannot stress the great impact they have had on me. While many can meditate without any help, I have found these really help me stick to it. I recommend both the apps Headspace and Calm, but have used Calm specifically for a very long time. You can choose between guided meditations or simply ones that will play a background sound of your choosing, my favorite is rain, for a time you have specified, and it will ding when you are done. They also have breathing exercises I like to follow before meditating to unwind. 

Remember, you do not need any of these tools to have a successful and meaningful practice, they are simply tools to help enhance if one is interested. If you even take away one of these tips or items from this article, I hope that it brings you some peace during these times and some excitement to give yourself some self-care that you deserve!

International Business and Marketing major at the University of Tampa!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson