My Ten Favorite Films From the Past Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Finally, my first article of 2020! What better way to welcome the new decade than to recap some of the most iconic movies from the 2010s, in order of the year each one came out. 

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

Directed by Edgar Wright, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is based off of the graphic novels by Bryan Lee O’Malley. The movie stars Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, a bass guitarist who must defeat his newest girlfriend’s ex-boyfriends. Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays Ramona Flowers, Scott’s new girlfriend, who sports a new hair color every week and a half. Also starring Anna Kendrick, Jason Schwartzman, Chris Evans, Aubrey Plaza, and Brie Larson, the movie features exceptional comic book-like transitions, along with a phenomenal rock soundtrack. 

Watch it on Netflix here.

The Help (2011)

Based on the book written by Kathryn Stockett, The Help takes place in 1960s Mississippi. The movie features an ensemble cast including Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jessica Chastain, Allison Janney, Sissy Spacek, and Emma Stone. Skeeter, played by Emma Stone, shocks the small town she lives in by interviewing black women who have taken care of prominent white families. 

Rent it from Amazon here.

Frances Ha (2012)

Directed by her partner, Noah Baumbach, Greta Gerwig stars in Frances Ha as the titular character. Along with acting in it, Gerwig also wrote the screenplay. This movie is an essential comedy for those who enjoy coming-of-age stories similar to Gerwig’s film Lady Bird

Watch it on Netflix here.

The Great Gatsby (2013)

An adaptation of the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Baz Luhrmann turns the classic into a fun and beautiful film reminiscent of his other movies, such as Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge. The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton in the lead roles. The Great Gatsby is praised for its exceptional soundtrack, which was produced by Jay-Z and includes artists such as Lana Del Rey, Sia, and Fergie.

Rent it from Amazon here.

Big Eyes (2014)

Directed by Tim Burton, Big Eyes is a biographical drama about the artist Margaret Keane, who is famous for painting images of people with big eyes. The film follows the struggles of Margaret Keane, who is played by Amy Adams, as her husband, played by Christoph Waltz, takes credit for her art. 

Rent it from Amazon here.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015)

Based on the novel of the same name by Jesse Andrews, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl centers around Greg Gaines, a teen who spends time making movie parodies with his friend, Earl. Greg’s easy way of living is changed when he befriends Rachel, a girl at his school who has leukemia. Humour is abundant in this movie, even when dealing with such an emotional topic as cancer. The cinematography and characters are unique, making this an insanely memorable movie.

Rent it from Amazon here

La La Land (2016)

If you watched the 2017 Academy Awards, you might remember the drama that La La Land was part of when it accidentally “won” Best Picture. Directed by Damien Chazelle, the movie is reminiscent of classic Hollywood musicals. Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling as love interests, this film revolves around their relationship and the dreams that they came to Hollywood to pursue. La La Land won over 240 awards, including the Academy Award for Best Original Song for “City of Stars”.

Rent it from Amazon here.

Lady Bird (2017)

Written and directed by Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird is an essential coming-of-age film starring Saoirse Ronan as the titular role. It takes place in the early 2000s and revolves around the relationship of Lady Bird and her mother, played by Laurie Metcalf. Semi-autobiographical, Gerwig encaptures what it’s like to be a teenager, along with the bittersweet emotions of growing up. This movie also features Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Beanie Feldstein, and Timothée Chalamet. 

Rent it from Amazon here.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse features Shameik Moore as Miles Morales, who is bitten by a radioactive spider and becomes the one and only Spider-Man. The movie deals with the variety of Spider-Man characters in Marvel comic books, such as Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man Noir, and Spider-Ham. It won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film

Watch it on Netflix here.

Booksmart (2019)

Olivia Wilde’s directorial debut, Booksmart is defined as the female version of Superbad. It stars Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein as two high school overachievers faced with the fact that they never went to a high school party. The movie hilariously recounts their night before graduation as they try to attend a party and make up for their missed experiences. The soundtrack was featured in my past article, Soundtrack Spotlight.

Watch it on Hulu here.

Tatiana is a current senior at the University of Tampa. She's studying Writing, with the goal to be a novel editor one day. On campus you can find her looking for the best vegetarian options, watching movies in her dorm room, or listening to show tunes on her way to class. If you want to keep up with Tatiana, follow her on Instagram - @tatimiranda01
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely